• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unwell rabbit

footballgirl

Alpha Buck
Hi
My rabbit isn't well. His name is Ramesses and he's around 11weeks old.
When I gave him his pellets this morning he wasn't interested and when I had a quick look around the hutch I noticed really sticky and a bit slimey poohs.

So as soon as my mum got back from town we took him to the vet. Now I have M.E and wasn't well enough to go in but mum relayed all what was said back to me.

The vet had a look at his bum and saw some sticky pooh and said his bum was slighty inflammed. She weighed him and he was I think half a kilo, not sure on that though. He was a little dehrydrated and said she doesn't usually see a bunny this young with such a poorly stomach.

The vet injected in some antibiotics and gave us the following:

Baytril twice a day
Fibroplex twice a day
Recovery, but only to use a small amount as he's so young.

We have appointment to take him back on Monday evening but if he's still very poorly tomorrow we have to ring up the emergency line on Sunday.

Since being back he's eaten a tiny amount of hay and I have given him some daisys to eat, which he ate in a flash. I've also put in a bowl of water to make
it easier for him to drink. Mum also helped me give him some fibroplex, didn't go to well, so any suggestions on how u do it will be gladly welcomed.

Now afterall that, what I'm asking for is there any thing else I can do to make him feel btr? I want to give his floor a clean, we have a 2storey hutch with his
friend roswell at the top, seperated til neuturing time. So is it ok to put him outside today or should I put the run up in the garage?

I was wording myself sick earlier but since the vets I have calmed down a bit.

Thanks for any help u can give and can we have some gd vibes for ramesses please

Charlie

Upset tummies and mucuous stools in very young buns is a bit of a worry as you know. It's possible it was just some digestive upset and caecal imbalance from stress or certain veggies that perhaps triggered it, but mucoid enteritis is often the worry in these cases. I'm surprised your vet hasn't seen this before, mucoid enteritis - if that is what it is, is not uncommon in young buns. Coccidiosis is another infection that is possible? Sore bottom does indicate inflammation of the gut - so I think some pain relief might have been in order?
I would think fluids is essential to prevent dehydration. Is Ramesses drinking? Did the vet give him some fluids at all? Has he pased any normal droppings or actually any more droppings today? apart from the ones you found in the hutch from last night/this morning?
I would be worried about dehyrdation and any pain stopping him eating. If he's not drinking alone I think you need to syringe some cooled boiled water, but if this worries you, then he will need a vet to give him fluids. Did the vet today give any sub-cutaneously?
Recovery mixture is important if he's not eating enough to keep his fibre and nutrient intake up alone. You can try putting it in a bowl or syringing it. With the fibreplex, it's like any syringing, you need to be firm, I know this is hard as you feel like you will hurt your bunny but a struggly bunny can harm themselves more, so try wrapping him up in a towel and hold him tightly on your lap or pop him on the floor between your knees to administer the syringe - you put it in at the side of the mouth behind the front teeth and just do a little at a time so he can chew and swallow it, same with fluids. I think if he's not passed any droppings by this evening and still not eating much, I personally would see the emergency vet tonight as would be worried about pain and dehydration.
I would also keep him somewhere warm for now:)

Last edited:
Upset tummies and mucuous stools in very young buns is a bit of a worry as you know. It's possible it was just some digestive upset and caecal imbalance from stress or some certain veggies that perhaps triggered it, but mucoid enteritis is often the worry in these cases. I'm surprised your vet hasn't seen this before, mucoid enteritis - if that is what it is, is not uncommon in young buns. Coccidiosis is another infection that is possible. Sore bottom does indicate inflammation - so I think some pain relief might have been in order.
I would think fluids is also essential to prevent dehydration. Is Ramesses drinking? Did the vet give him some fluids at all? Has he pased any normal droppings or actually any more droppings today? apart from the ones you found in the hutch from last night/this morning?
You need to keep him drinking, and if not try wetting some leaves for him if you don't feel confident syringing gently some cooled boiled water. Although ideally with digestive upset you want to stick to hay and avoid the veggies. Recovery is important if he's not eating enough to keep his fibre and nutrient intake up, you can try putting it in a bowl or syringing it. With the fibreplex, it's like any syringing, you need to be firm, I know this is hard as you feel like you will hurt your bunny but a struggly bunny can harm themselves more, so try wrapping him up in a towel and hold him tightly on your lap or pop him on the floor between your knees to administer the syringe - you put it in at the side of the mouth behind the front teeth and just do a little at a time so he can chew and swallow it, same with fluids. I think if he's not passed any droppings by this evening and still not eating much, I personally would see the emergency vet tonight.
I would also keep him somewhere warm for now:)

Thanks for the long reply, it was very helpful :)

Other than pellets, hay and grass when both my bunnies are out, they have a little parsley (which i started giving them a little over a week back) and a strawberry leaf every now and again. So i dont think it could be that. I wont give him any parsley tonight.

I just sat with him for 5mins and he was drinking from the bowl, drunk quite a bit actually. I checked the hutch, there wasnt any slimy/sticky stuck together ones, instead usual sized and shaped ones, although they looked a little moist. He is eating some hay.

Thank you for the advice on syringing, very helpful :)

My hutch is inside my garage so is out of any cold drafts but i'll stick in another towel to keep him warm.

One more thing, when i was just siting with him i heard a noise, like a stomach noise. It wasnt from mine as i would know. So it was either ramesses or roswell. I dont think it was roswell though. Is this of any significance or is it just natural?

Thanks

Just add to my previous post

I went back downstairs and he was happily nibbling away at hay and ate a few pellets. He seems to have perked up since this morning. Moving more and stretching his back legs and everything.

One more thing, when i was just siting with him i heard a noise, like a stomach noise. It wasnt from mine as i would know. So it was either ramesses or roswell. I dont think it was roswell though. Is this of any significance or is it just natural?

Thanks

Glad he's showing signs of seeming perkier, I'm very happy to hear that he has had a big drink, done some droppings and is eating something, in that case I think you just need to keep a close eye on things and if any changes call the vet, but it sounds encouraging. Veggies when your bun is better is fine, when they're young you have to introduce them very slowly and build up tolerance, as you have done so, so I agree it is unlikely to be this. Make sure you wash any shop-bought veggies as they often wash them in strong chlorine before selling and i've had a problem once when forgetting to wash them:oops:

The tummy sound is a slight concern... rabbits with bloat tend to make gurgling sounds from gas/wind in the tummy, but rabbits also have normal bowel sounds too, it's hard to tell what you heard. Bloat is very painful so I would assume that he wouldn't be eating if this was the case, my bun certainly doesn't and exhibits quite a lot of tummy pain when he has bloat by pushing his tummy to the floor in an odd way, and getting up and down repeatedly, so keep an eye out for this behaviour, it's a classic sign. If you are concerned about this at all then a vet trip is a must as is pain relief, and I suggest you give your bunny a gentle tummy rub, this can help, and encourage some hopping, as this helps maintain gut motility too.
Other than that, it sounds promising, just keep bunny eating and drinking, and a careful watch tonight for any change in symptoms and if in doubt, call the vet. Hope your bunny continues to improve:)

Glad he's showing signs of seeming perkier, I'm very happy to hear that he has had a big drink, done some droppings and is eating something, in that case I think you just need to keep a close eye on things and if any changes call the vet, but it sounds encouraging. Veggies when your bun is better is fine, when they're young you have to introduce them very slowly and build up tolerance, as you have done so, so I agree it is unlikely to be this. Make sure you wash any shop-bought veggies as they often wash them in strong chlorine before selling and i've had a problem once when forgetting to wash them:oops:

The tummy sound is a slight concern... rabbits with bloat tend to make gurgling sounds from gas/wind in the tummy, but rabbits also have normal bowel sounds too, it's hard to tell what you heard. Bloat is very painful so I would assume that he wouldn't be eating if this was the case, my bun certainly doesn't and exhibits quite a lot of tummy pain when he has bloat by pushing his tummy to the floor in an odd way, and getting up and down repeatedly, so
keep an eye out for this behaviour, it's a classic sign. If you are concerned about this at all then a vet trip is a must as is pain relief, and I suggest you give your bunny a gentle tummy rub, this can help, and encourage some hopping, as this helps maintain gut motility too.
Other than that, it sounds promising, just keep bunny eating and drinking, and a careful watch tonight for any change in symptoms and if in doubt, call the vet. Hope your bunny continues to improve:)

Hi,
He's drinking and eating ok atm, not massive amounts but it's btr than
nothing. He's definatly getting hay and drinking his water so I'm alot happier than this morning :) Plus he's moving and running about more aswell. Still slighty concerned with his poohs but they are definatly btr than before.

I have always rinsed the veg from the supermarket but perhaps next time will give them a thorough wash to be on the safe side.

I dnt think it is bloat because he is up and about but thank u for explainning the signs to me and I'll definatly look out for that in the future.

Thank you again as you have gave me alot of info and advice aswell as putting my mind at rest :)

Let's hope for a better tomorrow

Charlie x

Hi. I conmpletely missed this thread.
I hope your bun is continuing to improve xx

Hi, sorry havent manged to get back online the past couple of days.

Ramesses, is slowly getting better, the main being hes eating more pellets with each day and also his pooh's are looking back to normal. Hes eating some hay and grass. But not drinking alot of water, so im syringing him some atm.

Today, has been his best day since getting sick saturday, doing more running and binkying. So im hoping he has got over the worst of it.

Went back to the vets last night. He hadnt lost any weight but mentioned he still wasnt eating alot so we have been given pancur, i think thats how its spelt. We are going back friday afternoon, for another check up and for my other rabbit (Roswell) to her jabs.

So touch wood, i think hes getting better :D

Charlie x

Back