• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Simba has bald patches

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Simba is about 6yrs old and has long woolly fur. I comb him regularly generally without a problem but every now and then he gets really big knots which i have to tease out. He has regularly suffered with mites and had injections and also tried the drops from the vets each time.. each time it has cleared up completely.. My other two bunnies have never had a problem with mites, only Simba. Several times now i comb him and end up with several bald patches which often show he has mites as he has dry flakey bits on his skin.. but this time his skin is fine underneath. He has a big bald patch behind his ears then another one on his hip area and sides.. could it just be he is moulting heavily and the fur has come out too early or can it be caused by something else? :?

Last edited:
he looks really funny... like he has too much skin :lol: hopefully he's not growing old and bald :shock:

Nibbles had a really bad moult this year and ended up with a bald patch at the back of her neck. She also lost quite a bit of weight, and we got scared and took her to the vet. The vet just said she was having a REALLY bad moult this year because the weather has been so unpredictable. One min it's stupidly hot, then it goes really wet & cold again so poor Nibbles had no idea what to do :(

Have had to comb Simba loads this week..every day he has a big knot somewhere else!! I'm assuming this is due to his moult that it is tangling as it comes out... However when i jsut combed him again his back is almost bald with a lovely fine comb over :lol: and the skin is dry with flakes..
Does this always mean he has mites? Or can it get dry if he is moulting anyway? Dont really want to take him up the vets for treatment if its not that. Should i just wait and see if his fur grows back on its own? He's looking so scruffy!! :lol:

Back