• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw/Hay/Shavings?

Just sent my dh over the road where they have stables as i thought there must be a cheaper option for the hay we get. They have show horses and buy good quality no dust etc hay and he's happy to order us some. Is it ok to use the same stuff that they use for the horses i know it sounds a daft question. Also we have only been using hay and shavings for the bunnys but he gave dh a big bag of straw for bedding now in the past when ive had rabbits straw was ok but just checking if its still ok really?

Not sure about the straw, but we buy bales of hay from one of our local farms. It's always fresh and sweet smelling, which I think is the most important thing - so as long as the hay you get isn't brown and odourless then I'm sure it'll be ok :thumb:

my rabbit use to be in shavings and straw and then i would put hay in every day so they could eat it.

Great i was just worried about them trying to eat the straw. The hay is definatly fresh works out about 4.00 as he buys in bulk which is a fab price concidering ive been spending that an a tiny bag :)

Excel Bed down is safe to use for rabbits. It is dust free shavings with wheatstraw mixed in. It is lovely and soft too. Should be about £7-8 for a large bale.

Back