• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

looks like another medication change again for matt *update*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
just been on the phone to the vets as i'm not happy with how matt is doing on his new medication. he still sounds snotty and he is still doing the occasional sneeze and still has the occasional wet nose. but now his poops are getting smaller in size and he isn't as interested in his food, and his hay intake has gone down so i'm not happy, and he doesn't seem as happy aswell. :(

the vets said that if it was the right medication that these symptoms should have disappeared, or certainly got alot better by now so matt is back at the vets this week again to see what we can try now. :(

he's already been on penicillin injections, and zithromax, and this one is fortum and this isn't working well either.

i'm really gutted. :(

Last edited:
here's my gorgeous matted bunny! :love:

Photo-0382-1.jpg

Photo-0383-1.jpg

Hello, can you let us know what workup your rabbit has had, Is the discharge 1 or both nostrils.

sorry, but what does 'workup' mean? :oops: you mean what has he had dose wise with the fortum, or what has led up to this point? sorry, i just haven't heard that expression before. :oops:

Sorry, I mean has he had swabs taken, head xrays, any blood work, or have you just been trying different antibiotics?

Sorry, I mean has he had swabs taken, head xrays, any blood work, or have you just been trying different antibiotics?

yes, he's had skull xray and that showed that everything is fine there, with his teeth etc. he had the swabs at that time but they came back negative. when he had the ga, the back of his nose was found to be inflammed and full of pus so the pus was drained and he had metacam as an anti-inflammatry for a while after, and started on the penicillin injections. he did really well on these up until about 8 weeks when he had his vhd vaccination. he had the myxi one two weeks before and was ok, but after the vhd one it all started again. he was very stable on the penicillin and was well enough for the vaccinations.

then he was switched to zithromax, and again, at the 8 week point the symptoms returned, after a trip to the vets when bisc had to go because he broke his nail.

i think it's stress related with matt, that sets thing off again.

matt hasn't had bloods taken though.

that's the story up to now! :)

OK I have to say that fortum isnt a drug i commonly use in rabbits. The dose I have is for it to be given every 3 hours so i reserve it as part of a combination for seriously septic cases. How was the back of the throat examined, i would definately be repeating this with an endoscope which shows up lesions not visible with normal scopes. Blood work wouldnt hurt either. If your rabbit is passing smaller stools and seems off it i would be treating that seriously as you do not want this rabbit to develop ileus (stasis) so syringe feed, good dose of metacam and metoclopramide to get him eating and feeling better, then I would stop all antibiotics and possibly nebulise with saline to improve the breathing with a view after 10 days to scoping the area and getting some more swabs for culture. Your main differentials are an abscess in the area, osteomyelitis of the turbinates or a foreign body (piece of grass or hay)
goodluck:)

OK I have to say that fortum isnt a drug i commonly use in rabbits. The dose I have is for it to be given every 3 hours so i reserve it as part of a combination for seriously septic cases. How was the back of the throat examined, i would definately be repeating this with an endoscope which shows up lesions not visible with normal scopes. Blood work wouldnt hurt either. If your rabbit is passing smaller stools and seems off it i would be treating that seriously as you do not want this rabbit to develop ileus (stasis) so syringe feed, good dose of metacam and metoclopramide to get him eating and feeling better, then I would stop all antibiotics and possibly nebulise with saline to improve the breathing with a view after 10 days to scoping the area and getting some more swabs for culture. Your main differentials are an abscess in the area, osteomyelitis of the turbinates or a foreign body (piece of grass or hay)
goodluck:)

ok, i have the metacam and metocolpramide here incase this happens, and zantac aswell. i'll start that now to get him eating more hopefully. he is eating pellets, hay and veg, just not as much as he normally would.

i should have said, the throat was checked aswell. everything was checked. bloods weren't done though so i will ask for those to be done. best to cover everything.

i'm at the vets on wednesday morning with him so i will write down what you have said and take it with me. the vet is a rabbit vet, but better to share all opinions and then see what can be done.

thanks for your help and advice. :)

Youre welcome, please let me know if I can help any more:)

i've given matt metacam now, but i have maxolon and zantac aswell and couldn't remember what you said! metaclopramide? which one is that?

i got a piece of veg after his metacam and he ran over for it and ate it and like i said he is eating so i won't syringe feed him. obv if he stops eating i will give him what i have been told to - the zantac, maxolon and metacam and get him to the vets.

i've just had to bathe his nose for him as he had pus there again, mainly one nostril, but wetness from both, and he sneezed again before. he just sounds very snotty. i'll get him to sniff some olbas oil, that helped a little last time.

hmmm.... as i'm typing this he's eating hay. that's good. he's on the loo aswell so i'll be over to check after he moves! got to be done!

he seems ok in himself at the minute. i'll keep a really close eye on him and see how we go.

Oops....sorry! Didn't mean to jump into the conversation! Thought Rodneyvet might have gone offline and I knew the answer to that one:)

sorry, one more thing. would you give the maxolon even though he is eating still? so the metacam and maxolon but not the zantac? is that right? and how long for? thanks, :)

I would continue with both until I had a good 2 days of normal poos and a happy eating bun:)

ok, so maxolon and metacam and see how he goes. i have been told to give him maxolon 1.2ml three times a day, metacam 0.8ml twice a day. and do i carry on with the fortum or not?

Im sorry, I really cant answer that without stepping on your vets toes. I suppose if I were to see a case such as that however, I can imagine a scenario where I would discontinue antibiotics to allow me to get a swab at a point further down the line, especially if i thought the antibiotics wer not doing any good but thats just me

Back