• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly's hocks are bad again!!! :( U/D

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
I can't believe it. One of her hocks has a pussy abscess/spot and the other has white infection under the skin. I've been using salt water religiously on her feet, so obviously that doesn't work. She is bedded on deep hay, and is out on soft grass daily. (the run is moved daily too so there is fresh grass and softer ground). I'm going to try the Savlon Healing gel that Jack's-Jane recommended and see how that goes, and she'll be going to the vet next week to have a course of pencilin.

Poor Molly.
I have no experience of sore hocks, but just a suggestion, how about dressing it so it's less friction and discomfort for her until she sees the vets?

Poor Molly.
I would urge you to get her to a vet today- it will only get worse in the meantime. I think you need to deal with the infection first, then try the salvon gel and dressings that Jane has been using, otherwise you may be sealing in the infection.

Poor Molly.
I would urge you to get her to a vet today- it will only get worse in the meantime. I think you need to deal with the infection first, then try the salvon gel and dressings that Jane has been using, otherwise you may be sealing in the infection.

Yep, we have an appointment for Monday, in the meantime she'll keep having the salt water. We'll treat the infection and then try the gel.:)

UPDATE: She had an abscess which the vet popped and got a lump of pus out. She's now on Baytril and putting salt water in the hole twice daily. She seems fine after it. :) Glad I got it sorted quickly, cos it had grown huge since I first saw it 3 days ago.

if the baytril doesnt work hun ask for 'septrin'. it worked very well on peanuts abcess.

Also, if it comes back get them to send samples off for testing, as peanut had three types of bacteria inside his, and baytril got rid of one, making you think it was gone but it didnt fight the other types which made it come back. Hes still got it now bcus it has gone on so long but maybe if you use Septrin now, you could nip it in the bud now, rather than try it later down the line.

Back