• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

all my rabbit is does is eat eat and eat!

Jes4789

New Kit
since i got my rabbit thats all its done is eat, its gettin really big its only 12 weeks old! is this normal??

the food he was on in the pet shop i fill half his bowl up abt every 2 days, i put abt 4 hand fulls of hay in the cage, i only put it in last night and its gone, and he had 1 of those corn on the cob treat things lastnight and thats gone to! i give him 1 when we first got him but it took him about a week to have it all..:?

Your rabbit is supposed to eat and eat. Rabbits would in their natural behaviour eat all day long with a small amount of snoozing in between and playtime too.

Your rabbit needs to have access to unlimited hay all day long as this should be 80% of it's diet minimum. Then you should be introducing a small amount of suitable vegetables probably once a day (I mean a very small handful) and then it should be having a top up only of pelleted food suitable for a growing bunny.

It's pelleted food should not be available at all times as this will encourage it to eat that in preference to hay and that will cause long term problems. So I'd cut down on the food and give much more hay. If you have a bunny that wants to eat it you are very lucky as loads don't. A happy bunny is a bunny who grazes on hay!

Helen :D

Hi,My bun is 13 weeks and it Has a bowl of Muesli from the pet shop at all times and it is topped up one over 2 days.It also has Hay added in at least 3 times a day in big handfuls.I also put some Watercress and a small piece of carrot in for him for supper.

Rabbits in the wild would graze and look for food most of the time so having a constant supply of hay is a must. In the wild they wouldnt have rabbit mix so only a small amount (i give mine a handful a day), a bowl full is way too much. Pellet food is better than the Muesli. A small handfull of veg a day and the odd treat, corn on the cob is fine.

Gosh, I'm glad you don't own Zebedee. LOL. He would frighten you to death with the amount he packs away. He is a giant bun, though, in fairness.

He has adlib hay and also munches his straw. He has a handful (small) of pellets once a day. He gets either a corn on the cob or a seeds stick available in his cage all the time - maybe a new one goes in once every half week. He gets dried fenugreek, dark green leafy veg, other veg, very very occasionally an apple or carrot, sometimes some mixed commercial feed as well as the pellet, fresh home-grown herbs. He is, according to my vet, the perfect weight and is athletic build rather than podgy build.

Back