• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasha's paw problem has been diagnosed now ...

Mart

Mama Doe
Sample results came back to say he has... (and I'm not sure this is the right spelling)...

Chronic Pyogranuloma Mitosis ?

Treatment is with Steroids and Anti-Biotics

Anyone have any experience of this ?

The symptoms have been his raw pink paw pads, with hair loss around the paws (possibly self-inflicted by over-excessive cleaning - tugging at fur) and a slight flakiness to the skin on his paws.

Martin

Sample results came back to say he has... (and I'm not sure this is the right spelling)...

Chronic Pyogranuloma Mitosis ?

Treatment is with Steroids and Anti-Biotics

Anyone have any experience of this ?

The symptoms have been his raw pink paw pads, with hair loss around the paws (possibly self-inflicted by over-excessive cleaning - tugging at fur) and a slight flakiness to the skin on his paws.

Martin

Did the vet say which organism was causing it, eg.staph, or aspergillus etc?
Are you applying a topical steroid?

Did the vet say which organism was causing it, eg.staph, or aspergillus etc?
Are you applying a topical steroid?

Nope - didn't say which organism was the cause, not sure what Steroid he has had either.

Martin

Is the steroid you are using a cream or injection?

It was an injection given by the vet.

He's been having injections every 4 days (total 3 so far) - as thye had thought it was an auto-immunity problem until the latest test results came back.

Martin

I wrote a post called Staphylococcus Aureus.Does Pashas paw look anything like the pictures of Barlies paw and what breed is she?

I wrote a post called Staphylococcus Aureus.Does Pashas paw look anything like the pictures of Barlies paw and what breed is she?

Really sorry to read of your experience with Barlie and Bugsy - it must have been devastating for you :( (sorry I have a penchant for stating the bleeding obvious) I Hope that with the passage of time you will realise that you did absolutely everything you could, and made the hardest decision at absolutely the right time.

Pasha's paws don't have the same legions (sp?) - his are more 'raw' light pink, and the skin isn't broken. We think the pinkness is more from him pulling his fur off from the pads of his paws (and slightly round the sides).

I'll try and grab a pic or 2 later.

He is slightly more himself this morning, but is still fixated on his paws.

We are going to give it a few days on the steroid / AB combo - see if it helps at all.

Thanks for the info - and very sorry to read of your experiences.

Martin

Back