• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do i need to get a new hutch or can i make mine bigger

Will

Young Bun
IMG_0085.jpg

The pictures above is the hutch that i have.
Its 4ft Long, 2ft wide and 2ft high. i also have a 6ft by 4ft run but they arent attached.

As some of you may know i lost my rabbit this week due to illness and im looking to get a pair of bonded rabbits but i have been told by SOAD when i sent a message saying that some rehomers will not rehome to a hutch thats only 4ft long. Would i be able to make it bigger and if so is there anyone in the maidstone area that would be able to give some info on it or who might be able to adjust it or would it be best to sell on and buy a new one.

hmmm i would think it would be quite tricky to make it bigger i would recommend buying a larger one :)xx

I think it would be much easier to buy a new one and then you'd be able to get one that's better quality as well so it'll last longer

if i cant make it bigger what size is best to get and does it need to be double tier?

My hutch is only 2 years old. I have just reweathered it as its empty at the moment. i have only done the outside.

Well; to be totally honest.... I would say replace it.

By the time you've attempted to make it bigger you will have probably virtually taken it to pieces anyway so I would look into getting a new one. If you can't afford it yet you could always save up and get some bunnies once you've got one. :)

6ft x 2ft x 2ft (preferably with an attached run) is generally the minimum size recommended.

If you could get a small hutch for cheap somewhere, you could bolt the two together, making sure that you took the connecting sides out, or cut a decent bunny sized hole in them.

It wouldn't be too big a job. It all depends on whether or not you could find a hutch for cheap.

Making an extension is possible, but tricky if you don't have much experience working timber.

i have been think i will either buy a new one or try and build one. if i try and build one, does anyone no any good sites that have plans.

Most rescues will only rehome to a hutch that is 6ftx2ftx2ft as this is what the RSPCA recommends:D. By the time you have bought stuff to extend your hutch with you could probably of bought one cheaper.
Good luck and hope you can give a rabbit a forever home soon:D

For plans you could copy the existing hutch that you have and just make it bigger. You would probably need to add two extra supporting legs in the middle.

I shouldn't cost too much in materials. I built a house for my buns to play/sleep in (below) and paid less than £20 all in, including carpet tiles and decoration, and have wood left over.

I think you could buy the materials for half (or maybe less) than the price of a hutch. Why pay someone else to build it if you can do it yourself.

Photo0154.jpg

Good luck,
Neil

Last edited:
Back