• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what size are wild hares?

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
just wonder what size wild hares are and does anyone own one. not wanting one :lol: just curious, i know loads of people have baby wild bunnies but do you get many abandoned hares?

There was an article in he paper about a woman who reared a baby hare. She cut him out from the womb.
I think they are huuuuuge aren't they?

Re:the article. Why have it put to sleep "because they don't usually survive after 3 weeks".

It's like that thing they used to do with drowning witches - if they survived it was cos they were a witch, if they died they weren't a witch, but were dead anyway. :roll:

Pretty big - in the fog on the way to work i sometimes have trouble telling them from muntjacs :lol:

theres some info on them here and also a facility to report sightings of them, to help with records and conservations work :)

http://www.hare-preservation-trust.co.uk/

ETA just to clarify, hares are in no way as big as muntjacs, it's just that if a medium sized brown animal dashes across my path in teh mist, i'm not always 100% on what it is ;)

Hares are like giant bunny size just really athletic looking and at the mo I am seeing way too many dead on the roads, mainly young ones. I've seen one within 50m of me :love: just staring straight at me as I was walking the dog early one morning.

totally weird, my friend and i saw a wild hare this afternoon while walking the dogs it was hoping towards us, then saw the dogs and ran into the corn field.:D

The other week i seen my very first wild hare :love::love:

We were in the car and it was in a field running beside us, it was HUGE and was the most beautiful thing ive ever seen:love:
s/he was a redy/brown colour with black and white tipped ears :love:

Ive never seen a wild hare before until then and i wont ever forget it :love:

I've seen some hares in the wild, once at least XD There are no wild rabbits in Norway, so they're easy to recognize. :roll:

One of my old teacher used to own a hare.
Someone had found it as a baby thinking it was abounded...of course hares (like rabbits) don't visit their kits more than once or twice a day, the main difference is that rabbits are in a cave while hares are in the open so people tend to pick them up, and when they do the mother won't want them anymore:cry:
She raised the hare and tried to release it but it was terrified of the wild so she kept him till he died naturally.

I also heard a story of someone bringing in a hare to a rabbit breeder thinking it was one of her kits who had escaped, she put it in with a rabbit who had 3-week old kits (who are about the same stage in development as a newborn hare) and let the rabbit raise it:D That hare was later released into the wild.

I've seen quite a few wild hares - had some wonderful close encounters with them by going out early morning and just sitting still. :love:

Whilst we were in Yorkshire on holiday (near North Allerton) there were a family of wild hares that used to play right outside the window of the place we were staying. They were huge windows so most evenings we turned the telly off and just watched Wild Hare TV. :lol:

I nicknamed the cheekiest one 'Harry'. It was wonderful!!

I got this pic through the window but it's a bit blurry...... I think they knew we were watching them as it felt like they were just showing off, lol.

657.jpg

My brother and I found a hare in my parents garden years ago.

It was obviously sick so we took it to a wildlife hospital about 30 miles away from where we lived. Sadly it had Myxi and had to be pts.:(

It was about the size of a medium rabbit if I remember correctly. It was about 12 years ago though.

Back