• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sexual behaviour in neutered rabbits

mefranky

New Kit
I have male and female netherland dwarf rabbits who were neutered just over two years ago. Everything seemed to be going well for a while with just the odd mounting by both rabbits which I put down to a dominant behaviour. However for the last few weeks the male rabbit is continually pestering the female causing her to become aggressive.
Can you offer any advice?

Regards
Frank

Changes within seasons can cause rabbits to need to exert their dominance. The time span can vary amongst rabbits.

If you have other rabbits about which another pair can see or smell can also cause dominance issues and aggression. Some rabbits tolerate others about easily others don't.

The smelling of some substances which contain pheromones can also result in the need for rabbits to exert their dominance, this might be the local cat spraying in your garden, the use of musk, deep heat etc.

Hello Janice, firstly thanks for your speedy reply. The two rabbits we have are house trained and very rarely allowed in the garden. We have had fresh flowers in the house for around the last month. Do you think that there is a possible connection between the behaviour and the flowers?

Regards
Frank

I would say experiment with what is going on in the house. Look at everything you use from air fresheners, cleaning products, deodorants, after shave, washing products, medical products including deep heat.

I have not known flowers before however I have now heard of 2 cases of deep heat which have resulted in severe aggresssion when bunnies have been put in the immediate area where it has been used. Deodorant and after shave a few times.

If they are on a laminate or lino floor give everything a really good clean with a 50% solution of vinegar and water.

Back