• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sora needs a dental & ****** dog owners!!

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
Sora went for a booster vaccination last night and the vet had a look at her teeth. She had small spurs at the end of April and she still has small spurs now. They aren’t bad enough to cause her any discomfort or ulcers or anything, but the vet has advised that we get them filed down now to nip the problem in the bud which I agree with. Even though I will be worried sick, Smudgie is allowed to accompany her so she should be more comforted than going on her own.

On the plus side, because aren’t any worse than they were in April, this gives me hope that hopefully once they are ground down *fingers crossed* she might not have trouble with them again at least for a while if she sticks to the same mostly-hay diet. I admit to not having any experience with bunnies needing dentals, but with my ‘logic’ hat on I figured if there was something wrong with her diet or if there was some breeding problem, they would be continually getting worse ……..right? *worries*

Poor bunnies though, we were sat in the waiting room and this middle aged couple brought a dog in that went absolutely MENTAL for everything else in the room, barking so loud that my ears physically hurt (god knows what it sounded like to animals with sensitive hearing!) going for the other dogs (teeth bared and dribbling etc) and generally causing a huge disturbance to the point where Sora & Smudgie were absolutely terrified and I swear were on the verge of heart attacks :cry: and all the while the owners of the dog were just laughing like it was ‘normal’ or ‘cute’ to them that their dog was behaving in such a way :censored: The buns were in such a state the vet had to calm them down when they got into the consultation room and gave them both a free check over as a result of their other ignorant client, even though Smudgie wasn’t actually booked in for anything he was just there to accompany Sora. Poor babies, it says something when the VET has to calm them down, normally the sight of the vet is terrifying to them! And to make matters worse we came out of the consultation room and were paying our bill to leave, and they and their dog came out of another room and caused a scene all over again. I could see the receptionist trying to tell them something (probably to ask them to control their dog/take it outside) but to be honest, nothing could have been heard over the top of the noise so we just got out of there as quickly as we could and I have to ring in to book the dental.

I now have several deep gashes too from bunny claws as they were scrambling everywhere once they were out of the carrier. It took 3 hours for Sora & Smudgie to calm down at home and I was terrified they were going to go into shock or stasis :cry: All thanks to one stupid dog owner who is evidently incapable of training or controlling their animal. If they ever appear there again whilst I’m there I am seriously going to :censored: punch the owners :censored::censored::censored:

Personally if the waiting room is busy or noisy I tell reception that i will stand outside or in the lobby until it is my turn, better to have to stand with the buns than have them terrified :)

It wasn’t busy or noisy though, we were sat in there for 10 minutes already (we were early) quite happily with relaxed buns even in the presence of other dogs there that were well behaved. The trouble didn’t start until just before our appointment time :cry: 3 years I’ve been going there and whilst there has been the occasional dog barking whilst we've been there, never had anything even near this scale happen before :(

If the owners knew their dog acted like that (from the looks on their faces, they clearly were well aware) they should have been the ones to wait outside rather than kick out the 5 people already waiting with sick/quiet pets or dogs that they were able to control. If the owners had shown any signs of attempting to control their dog I could have maybe been less angry at them as they would have been making an effort but they weren’t even attempting, just laughing at the scene it was causing as if it were entertainment to them :censored:

Sadly you meet people like this every day. Don't blame the dog - blame the moron owners. I'm fortunate that my rabbit vet only deals with cats and rabbits (and other small furries) so we don't have to worry about dogs.

Personally if the waiting room is busy or noisy I tell reception that i will stand outside or in the lobby until it is my turn, better to have to stand with the buns than have them terrified :)

Yep... that's what I do with my animals. The owner of the unruly animal should be the polite one to go outside, but they never do!!

my beau doesnt bark but he does scrabble on the lino floor to get to say hello to the people, takes all my strength to hold him back - really annoys me when im struggling and calming him down - which he does when other dog oweners let their dogs excite him then laugh when he is chocking to play

Again, as I mentioned, we were already in there waiting in an otherwise-quiet waiting room when the dog came in snarling then barking and attacking in all directions. The dog was between us and the door and there is no way I could be sure that it wouldn’t have lunged and attacked me or the container as I walked past, nor did I want to take the buns closer to their source of fear. It just wasn’t possible to do anything but try and shield the buns from the noise.

I’m not blaming the dog either, the title of the thread does say ‘dog owners’ and I made it pretty clear in the post that I was angry at the owners for just standing there laughing instead of making the slightest attempt to control their dog :?

I’m a bit upset that people seem to think I intentionally strolled in to an already-angry dog scene with rabbits rather than waiting outside :cry: It wasn’t like that at all, as I said we were already in there and had been there for a little while when the dog just came in and upset every animal instantly. Even if we hadn’t been early, if we had arrived with only a couple of minutes before our appointment time, this wouldn’t have made any difference as that’s when it happened - right before we were called in. The vets were even showing apologetic vibes by giving us two rabbit examinations for free to make sure they were okay (usual combined cost £50) they wouldn’t have done that if it was our fault for being there or if we could have somehow avoided the situation :cry: When the dog came out of the consultation room afterwards I immediately picked up the buns and took them out to the car whilst my husband paid the vaccination bill.

I thought having a rant here about what happened would be met with understanding from other rabbit owners but I guess not :? Nobody except luluhound has even mentioned the buns and now I’m in tears again that people feel I intentionally exposed them to such a fright or could have done anything about it :cry:

Hi, I'm sure no one meant to upset you, it sounds like you've had a rotten day, i'm certain no one on here thinks badly of you, it was completely out of your control!! I can totally understand where you are coming from....this happens at our vets too - but it's totally impossible to predict it happening, I know.
We've been sat quietly before and the same sort of thing has happened, but not quite so loudly or aggressively as this dog sounded, your poor buns. I normally turn my whole body around on the seat to block the carry cage and give the owners the look 'you even think about letting your dog near my bunnies!!'...and I scowl when their dog starts barking or jumping up on the seats and they usually get the message and quiet it down a bit! At other times we've turned up and it's been raucous so I go and stand in the pet shop (I use a companion care inside P&H so can get away from the surgery). But on a couple of occasions it's happened totally without warning and by then it is too late and there is nothing you can do, your bunny is freaked out! I hate that the surgery sees dogs, but this is the best vet we could find in our area. My bunny gets bloat from time to time so i'm always panicky as soon as I get home that the dog barking is going to set him off. I can imagine you and your bunnies both had a fright today, I hope you are all ok:D

I've only just read this thread. I am so sorry that you & your bunnies were exposed to such severe distress. I so hope that the bunnies are beginning to settle down.

1st. I think that the situation could have been much better managed by the vets receptionist. The dog & its owners should have been asked to wait elsewhere, even in their car if there is a car park there, & called when their vet was ready. If the receptionist did not feel she had enough authority to do this, she could have called someone else who felt able to deal with the situation.

As I understand it dogs actually feel more secure when they know & accept their owners are "pack leader" = boss! I feel very worried for the dog concerned. Its behaviour is highly abnormal for a pet, & unless brought under control, could even cause it to be put down. It is no laughing matter on anyone's count.
I've looked after countless dogs in Shetland, when owners went on holiday. I was always given a rapturous welcome by the dogs, when they knew me. Yes, I expected obedience. They also got plenty of "cuddles", play, & very long walks.

Again, as I mentioned, we were already in there waiting in an otherwise-quiet waiting room when the dog came in snarling then barking and attacking in all directions. The dog was between us and the door and there is no way I could be sure that it wouldn’t have lunged and attacked me or the container as I walked past, nor did I want to take the buns closer to their source of fear. It just wasn’t possible to do anything but try and shield the buns from the noise.

I’m not blaming the dog either, the title of the thread does say ‘dog owners’ and I made it pretty clear in the post that I was angry at the owners for just standing there laughing instead of making the slightest attempt to control their dog :?

I’m a bit upset that people seem to think I intentionally strolled in to an already-angry dog scene with rabbits rather than waiting outside :cry: It wasn’t like that at all, as I said we were already in there and had been there for a little while when the dog just came in and upset every animal instantly. Even if we hadn’t been early, if we had arrived with only a couple of minutes before our appointment time, this wouldn’t have made any difference as that’s when it happened - right before we were called in. The vets were even showing apologetic vibes by giving us two rabbit examinations for free to make sure they were okay (usual combined cost £50) they wouldn’t have done that if it was our fault for being there or if we could have somehow avoided the situation :cry: When the dog came out of the consultation room afterwards I immediately picked up the buns and took them out to the car whilst my husband paid the vaccination bill.

I thought having a rant here about what happened would be met with understanding from other rabbit owners but I guess not :? Nobody except luluhound has even mentioned the buns and now I’m in tears again that people feel I intentionally exposed them to such a fright or could have done anything about it :cry:

Honey, you've taken the comments in completely the wrong way and it's certainly not anything to cry about. Neither myself or Liz were having a go at you. I've been in waiting rooms where the dogs were creating and it was freaking my ratties and bun out and I have deliberately told the receptionist in a loud enough for all to hear voice that I would wait outside as my animals were getting freaked out.

People do understand....we've probably all been there at one time or another.

I hope you and your buns feel better soon, okay?

Sorry, yes I probably took them in the wrong way. I was having a very, very rough day with the double upset of Sora and the dog.

To explain a little, the reason this is upsetting me so much is because sadly I do not have a good track record with leaving rabbits at the vets for any kind of procedure or treatment. In 12 years, I have only ever brought home a live rabbit once after leaving them with the vets. The rest have all been to collect cardboard boxes with 'In Sympathy' written on the side :cry: It's not the fault of the vets, it's just been bad luck and the worst case scenario's and things that just happen sometimes. The only vet that I ever brought a live bunny home from was Harcourt-Brown and we're much too far away now to take any bunnies there for the reassurance. This is why I'm so upset as it almost feels like her death certificate has already been signed :cry: I have a feeling that I'm only going to get worse as it gets nearer to the day I take her in, which I still haven't organised yet out of fear but I know that I must do it soon :?

I can sympathise - there's nothing worse than being in a waiting room with an extremely loud yapping, snarling dog that the owners think is funny/cute and don't have the courtesy to others and their pets to go and stand outside. They have no idea that their own dog is making such a fuss because the poor thing is stressed and feels pressurized to act that way by the proximity of the other animals. Stupid people!

My vets are brilliant and will usally ask the owners of dogs causing a scene, to wait outside in the court yard area :) esp if they known owners of small animals are in the waiting room.
Usally I have people fussing over my bunnys when I take them to the vet :D

Back