• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming short haired bunnies

How often should I be grooming short haired rabbits?

I've only had them since Monday and they are still wary of everything but will feed from the hand and be stroked although I have only picked them up to move them from cage to floor, not actually held them for any length of time yet

When should I start grooming them? I don't want to scare them but I know it's a good way to check them over for bumps & sores

Whenever you like really as in when to start. Whilst you are carrying them sit down with them in your lap and have a little feel over their bodies gently as you stroke them, it's never too early to get used to the feel of normal lumps and bumps. Give them a little treat and it will start to teach them a positive association with being handled, or offer one as soon as you put them back down. You don't have to start grooming today but you might as well get used to the flystrike check so have a good feel all around with your fingers, armpits, base of tail, under tail...all over. Lie them upside down in your lap holding firmly to check the bottom area if they let you, if not, just use your hands....eugh!! We all do it:D
Daily brushing is helpful to reduce fur load in the gut, especially if moulting but even if not it's a good bonding for human-rabbit, an opportunity to check the fur and skin closely, and keeps bunny used to handling. You don't need to do it daily, but flystrike checks daily are sensible just to be cautious, mine never have messy bums but we check anyway and brush them daily, we have one long haired and one short:)

This is esp good time to start you dont even need to pick them up just sit beside them and comb them best you ca, dont worry if they move away etc. This is a good way of bonding with your bunnies and gaining there trust before moving on to bigger things.
For an idea of daily health checks follow our tips of what you should be looking out for (making this fun and not a vet examination)
http://www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com/health_checks.html

Back