• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are my rights? I dont want to give him back! U/D hes gone :o(

devoted2buns

Mama Doe
This is the 3rd time I have had this bunny in, he keeps getting out. The first time I put a found ad in the local paper and it was only by chance the lady's neighbour saw it that she called me. The second time my sister took the rabbit back to her house (she lives behind my sister) and now the 3rd time... my nephew told them that he was in my sisters garden at 5pm, at 9pm they still hadnt come to get him. I went to get him and brought him here. I don't want to give him back because they obviously don't care too much for him. What are my rights, what can I do, what would you do??

Last edited:
This is the 3rd time I have had this bunny in, he keeps getting out. The first time I put a found ad in the local paper and it was only by chance the lady's neighbour saw it that she called me. The second time my sister took the rabbit back to her house (she lives behind my sister) and now the 3rd time... my nephew told them that he was in my sisters garden at 5pm, at 9pm they still hadnt come to get him. I went to get him and brought him here. I don't want to give him back because they obviously don't care too much for him. What are my rights, what can I do, what would you do??

I might report it to the RSPCA. Maybe they would make a condition where the owners can only have the rabbit back if they can prove that the hutch is secure and has no possibility of escape. But I have no idea if this is actually plausible or not. :?

Are you sure you haven't just got a brand new buns that just looks like the unloved one ;) ;) ;) ;)

What people don't know don't hurt em I reckon

Well it looked like it to me that they dont want him so i would go to them and say that you are willing to keep him if they want to give him up. it sounds like he is very happy with other wise he wouldnt keep coming back to you.

Well... when the owner came to get him the first time she was hugging and kissing him and said thanks so much, her son had been crying his eyes out :roll: She didn't even have a pet carrier, i had to give her a box. I would tell them to get a suitable hutch and run and secure their garden but my sister said the whole family has been in prison and not best to upset them.

I have no idea what rights you would have :? However, i feel so sorry for the poor bun :( getting out 3 times is too often! Once is bad enough :(

I do hope your able to keep him and find him a proper home :) xXx

I hope I can keep him too. 3 times is too many times and 3 times is the only times we know about, i'm sure there has been other times. He is lovely. I think I may have to try and stash him somewhere. Wont be able to advertise him on the website or anything though. It's a tough one. :?

He's their property, if you don't give him back it's theft and you could, if they report it, be charged with theft.

Anyone finding a stray has to make reasonable attempts to locate the owner.

If you think the owner is no good all you can do is report it to the RSPCA.

He's their property, if you don't give him back it's theft and you could, if they report it, be charged with theft.

Okay, will phone the RSPCA tomorrow and go from there. :(

Agreed. If this bun is meant to be with you, it will happen. You don't want to get in any trouble, although I know your intentions are noble.

There was another story on here about someone who kept finding the same loose bun in her yard. She ended up being able to keep him, although I don't remember who it was.

Just be careful with the decisions you make. You don't want to get a bad reputation and end up with people not trusting you with their bunnies. Be honest for the bunnies!! :)

You could always offer to take him for rehoming.

They may be pleased to be rid...you never know:?
A frustrating position to be in

I'm with Tamsin, it would probably be theft unfortunately. The rule is blurred a little as you find him on your property....so there is a possibility that ownership becomes transferred to you, as opposed to finding him in the street not on your land, but as I sit here thinking back to criminal law I do remember the case-law not being in your favour and the rule of 'making all reasonable attempts' to find the owner. Sometimes not doing anything is 'all reasonable attempts' if for example you had no way of knowing who the owner was...e.g. find a purse in the street with no identification...but even then it might be considered unreasonable not to hand it in to the local police station. Unfortunately, as you know where this rabbit belongs, you have to make 'reasonable attempts' unless the transfer of ownership stands by finding bunny on your land.....tricky! Sadly, I think you'd better follow procedure....how awful for you:(
(Secretly I'm with the 'look at my new bunny....doesn't he look identical'!!)

Fully agree!

You can of course suggest to the owners that if they ever find the bunny too much to cope with, that you would be happy to adopt him.

Vera

Can't you just say something like 'Oh, he's so lovely, I wish he were mine - if you ever want to sell him....'

Might work.

I'm an honest person myself but I'd be tempted to just not say anything and see if they try to contact you first - at least then you'd know whether they truly cared or not. For all they know it's been killed by a cat or dog or run over!

I suppose the thing is that the owner would surely have to be able to prove that the rabbit is actually theirs?! To the law etc I would think one rabbit is much the same as any other..... :?

Is it a distinctive looking rabbit?

Otherwise I'd get in touch and ask them point blank if they want the rabbit (in a nice way, lol) and ask if they need any advice on making their garden etc more secure?

The other thing is that if they do have any sort of wanting for the rabbit even if they don't get this one back they will just go out and buy another one.... and you could end up back to square one.

Wouldn't it be within the law to report it to your local police station? I would assume that the law is the same as if it was a stray dog and if you report it to the police, you can keep it for 28 days and if no one reports him missing, he becomes yours??

Rescues normally work to 7 days and then start the process for rehoming. If they came to collect it off you last time then just sit tight and see if they come to you again. You could report it to the police to just cover your back;). I can't see they would report it to the police as missing (as most don't:roll:) But tell your sister to keep quiet if they ask her about it;).

Well they have came to get him, they dont want him but they took him back for the kids. I have said I will def have him if they change their minds. I have also given them loads advice which they seemed to listen to, we will see. He reckons the rabbit escapes by jumping the trampoline :roll: They also said they got him a g.pig as a friend but that didnt work, i told them why. All i can wish for is that they listen to my advice but i feel doubtful. :cry:

Back