• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have taken a lot of hard work on!

petparadise123

Mama Doe
I had a man phone me yesterday who had heard that I have rabbits to ask if I could take in a doe and 9 kits as they are his wifes and she has been taken very ill. I said yes and have collected them (I have been given them so they are mine now, I am hoping to keep the doe and 1 or 2 babies and rehome the others) The kits and 2 weeks old and are so cute :love:. The doe is a Lop and the father is a dutch who belonged to a friend of theirs apparently.

Then this afternoon my uncle was cleaning out our hay shed and accidently ran over (he was in the teleporter) and killed an adult wild bunny who came out between 2 bales. He moved the bale and saw 6 little babies who are now orphans:cry: I am guessing that they are 6-7 days old as their eyes havent quite opened yet. I have put them in with the doe and kits but she will not be able to rear 15, will she? I dont think that she will attack them but I'm keeping a close eye on her and she seems fine with them.

I have some Cimicat, so I am thinking of giving them some Cimicat but their belly's look full atm so the doe must have just fed them.

Can I have some advise please?

And vibes that the babies make it:)

Oh my you have taken on a lot, i have no advice i'm afraid but im sure someone will be along in a minute to help, just wanted to say good luck x

I have no advice either but just wanted to wish you and the babies lots of luck. Hopefully they will all make it :love:

xXx

rabbits can have upto 14 kits so there is a chance she can raise them all.just keep a check on them and her give as much hay/food as she can manage and extra veg/water. good luck dee xx

Thanks everyone, I have given the mum a bottle of milk as well as a water bottle, which she has drunk some of and plenty of food. Her babies started trying to nibble some of her food this morning:D All the babies have full bellies so I'm sure that she has fed the wildies:D:D I am wondering, if they all make it, how hard will it be to rehome wildies? I presume I shouldn't let them out as they will be tame in a few weeks:?

Glad the babies are doing well :) I shouldnt think it would be too hard to rehome wildies :) A fair few people on here have wildies. You wouldnt be able to release them into the wild after them relying on you for food etc, they wouldnt survive :(

xXx

I'll try and get some pics later:wave: I have just had to give the domestics all a bit of milk because they were looking a bit hunched up. I think shes giving more milk to the wildies than her own:? After I gave them some milk, one of the babies went up to the milk bottle (the one on the side of the cage) and started licking it :love:. The wildied eyes are still not open but I'm sure they will do any time now asI'm guessing that they are 8-9 days old:)

Oh well done you, fingers crossed they survive, it sounds like they are doing well.

Could a wildlife centre not help you with the wildies or at least offer you advice on what to do with them, not sure if they could be released or not as im not all that well up on rabbits, i know many animals get hand reared and then are released without a problem but to be honest id be to worried about them being hunted once id raised them but im a softie.

im sure they will do fine and all find homes, sounds like it was fate.

:cry: I lost 2 wildies today :cry: One this morning and one a few minutes ago:cry: I am not holding much hope for 3 of them to make it as they wouldnt take much milk just now (im giving all the babies milk as mum is struggling:() and 3 wildies are just sitting in the nest whereas 1 is running around with the others:love:. I feel so guilty as I think I am loosing them cos I only managed to feed them 3 times yesterday as we were shearing sheep all day and I just couldnt get away for a second to do them as I need to be there to wrap the wool:(

Is there no one on here or in a wildlife centre that could help with the wildies?

Have the wildies seen a vet? Just if they do have anything it may spread to your babies, so it would be good to rule out.

Have you put any probiotic in their water?, Im sure its been recommended on here,, to help stimulate the good bacteria in their guts and help fight off any infections.

Good luck

No they havent seen a vet. Where do I get probiotics from? I do not know of a wildlife centre around here and I dont think that they could do that much to help-if they dont make it then they dont make it. The domestics are drinking milk out of a bowl right now :love:

Aww your doing a great job :) It sounds as though your very busy on the farm right now... id love to live on a working farm :love:

Hope the rest of the little wildies make it... looking foward to pics :D xXx

They are all still here this morning:) Naughty mummy just spilt my container of Cimicat all over the floor:roll: My fault for leaving the lid off while I was getting babies out for food though:oops: When I open the cage to feed mummy she jumps out and runs around (drinking as much milk as she can steal!):lol: I did have enought Cimicat for a few days but now have to go to the vets this afternoon to get some for the rest of today as most of it got all dirty:( and then mummy started trying to eat the powder:lol:

:cry: I lost 2 wildies today :cry: One this morning and one a few minutes ago:cry: I am not holding much hope for 3 of them to make it as they wouldnt take much milk just now (im giving all the babies milk as mum is struggling:() and 3 wildies are just sitting in the nest whereas 1 is running around with the others:love:. I feel so guilty as I think I am loosing them cos I only managed to feed them 3 times yesterday as we were shearing sheep all day and I just couldnt get away for a second to do them as I need to be there to wrap the wool:(

I thought rabbits only fed their babies once or sometimes twice a day anyway - they don't stay on the nest as in the wild this would encourage predators to find the babies.

Yes wild and tame mothers only feed their babies once a day but rabbit milk is so good for babies that they dont need much-it is the richest of all mammals milk:) but replacement milk is not as rich so they need it a lot more often:)

Back