• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bunnies who eat loads of hay still get spurs?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
As title really. Vet checked both bunnies teeth tonight and they both have small spurs on their bottom teeth yet both eat loads of hay!

Yes its a genetic thing if they eat loads of hay and get spurs :( Millie and thumpers 3 babies Fudge, Skye and Gizmo were all born with it and its a nightmare :(
Skye and Gizmo both eat hay like its the end of the world and they still need dentals :cry:
Fudge Who doesnt eat hay of course needs dentals so im not 100% if she has misaligned teeth or not??

The roots of Fudges teeth are really bad and will one day cause major problems:(

I hope your bunnies are ok!
xx

Yes, genetics also play a part so the teeth can be physically misaligned and not wear even when fed the correct diet. The vet has said Alfie has tiny spurs when he has his 6 monthly check up for years. He's never needed any treatment though but I imagine he's be in a high group for developing problems if he didn't eat a lot of hay.

Tam

Bubbles is the same. :( She was in rescue from around 8 weeks old (so fed a good diet from very early on) and has always been a brilliant hay eater but it didn't stop her from developing spurs a few mths ago.

For now the vet has said we will keep an eye on them. Strawberry had some a few months ago but when he went back for a check up they had nearly gone, seems they are back again now.

Snowdrop is such a sickly bunny, I feel like a terrible owner. At the minute she is being treated for irregular shaped poos, diahorreoa, sore hocks and we are monitoring her spurs.

Yeah they can. We've had our Lilly since birth, She'll be 3 in Oct and has always been a great hay eater, however just recently she had to have a dental for a spur.
I felt awful as one feels with the right diet etc it shouldn't happen, but I know we're ever so careful with their diet, our buns eat loads of hay and my vet just said, with the best will in the world even the best fed bunnies etc may have issues with spurs sadly. x

Yep agree! Mine only eat hay and veg and both have spurs! Genetics i'm afraid. Well, with one of mine it was physical trauma to the jaw when he was young, probably a fracture, he was a rescue so we'll never know but the allignment and twisting looked as if it had been caused by a fracture. We were very lucky that our vet was able to burr his crooked incisors 'just right' to reallign the jaw, this rarely happens except in mild cases, as he was young enough his jaw realligned and the muscles too and corrected his bite mostly. His spurs are stil there but not significant 'yet'.....waiting for the ticking time bomb to go off one day as he gets age-related changes!
A high hay diet has kept them under control there is NO doubt about that:)

I feel like a terrible owner. At the minute she is being treated for irregular shaped poos, diahorreoa, sore hocks and we are monitoring her spurs.

By the way...there is no way you are a terrible owner! You know what all these things are and you're trying to get them all treated....that makes you a fantastic owner in my book!:)

I ask for mine to be checked when they do the vaccines but if we ever go for anything else my vet usually has a quick look.

This makes me more worried now!! How often should a bun have dental checks?

With their vaccs :D There are signs to look out for but if your bunny hasnt had or doesnt need a dental every 6 month with their vaccs is fine :wave:

Millie and Thumper get their teeth checked every 6 month and the others vary, Fudge is once a month, Skye and Gizmo every 3 months :roll: Its a bit of a nightmare but ive got to keep ontop of it :D

By the way...there is no way you are a terrible owner! You know what all these things are and you're trying to get them all treated....that makes you a fantastic owner in my book!:)

I completely agree, that fact that you have noticed illnesses and are getting treatment makes you a great owner. Its nt your fault she was born with this, So dont blame yourself xx

Back