• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nasal discharge, sneezing and baytril

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
My new (and first) rabbit Molly has been sneezing and has had nasal discharge since the say I got her. I also saw a little discharge from her eyes on the second day, but that has never re occured, they're clear now.
She's been to the vets, twice now, and both times they've said her lungs and chest sound clear.
She's on 0.5ml of baytril twice a day, and has been now for almost 3 weeks.
Ive not seen great improvement, however, she is not getting any worse.
I was just wondering if it would be best to continue with the baytril or if now is time to try something else. Im not sure how long it will take to work. I want to get it sorted soon so it doesnt spread to her lungs and become a constant illness for her.
Laura.

the above symptoms could be a tooth growing upwards towards the jaw. You need to get a x-ray around the head done while they put your bun in a deep sedation

this photo should be self explanatory

teethovergrow2.jpg

You have labelled your radiograph incorrectly. the picture shows elongation of the INCISORS (front teeth). You have labelled those molars as being elongated. Although there is some elongation it is minor compared to the overgrowth of the incisor roots.

Hi. I would suggest when she next has the discharge you ask the vet to take a swab from the nose for culture and sensitivity. She may well have a bacteria such as pasteurella (there are other possible bugs though). This will also tell them which antibiotics the bacteria is sensitive to.
Sometimes it can be very difficult to clear the problem up completely but the right treatment should help to keep it in check.
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

She will need to be off antibiotics for at least ten days for any significant growth to be isolated from the swab. What does your rabbit weigh, the baytril dose may not be correct

She will need to be off antibiotics for at least ten days for any significant growth to be isolated from the swab. What does your rabbit weigh, the baytril dose may not be correct

Good point about the antibiotics :thumb:

Thanks for replies,
When she was weighed 3 weeks ago she was 2.45.
I'm taking her back to the vets tomorrow to see what else can be done.

I dose baytril at 10mg/kg twice daily so if it is the 2.5% oral stuff i give 1ml twice daily. After 3 weeks at a lower dose there is a chance of resistance developing so I would switch to something else at this point
Goodluck

You have labelled your radiograph incorrectly. the picture shows elongation of the INCISORS (front teeth). You have labelled those molars as being elongated. Although there is some elongation it is minor compared to the overgrowth of the incisor roots.

I did NOT labeled the photo incorrectly. I type out exactly as is, the sentence from Dr. Frances Harcourt-Brown's book on the photo that she's describing.

So if you think that she labeled her own x-ray photo of her own book incorrectly, send her an email, she's still alive and well, tell her you know better than her

You will find that "Happy Hopping" is a self-certified expert in rabbit diagnostics and treatment. I have tried repeatedly to help him with his incorrect and dangerous advice but sadly he feels he has better knowledge than vets. I wish you luck in your attempts!

the above symptoms could be a tooth growing upwards towards the jaw. You need to get a x-ray around the head done while they put your bun in a deep sedation

this photo should be self explanatory

I concur with rodneyvet - the incisor overgrowth is more of a concern than the molar overgrowth. You have to understand that when a picture is presented in a book the abnormality described in the text may not be the predominant/only feature of the picture used - it simply contains an example of a problem among other findings. This is the reason that we evaluate the whole radiograph not just leap in and find one problem and ignore any other changes. Sarcastic replies towards those of us who spend our lives doing this work really won't help you and just owning and being able to reference books is not equivalent to a professional qualification.

I concur with rodneyvet - the incisor overgrowth is more of a concern than the molar overgrowth. You have to understand that when a picture is presented in a book the abnormality described in the text may not be the predominant/only feature of the picture used - it simply contains an example of a problem among other findings. This is the reason that we evaluate the whole radiograph not just leap in and find one problem and ignore any other changes. Sarcastic replies towards those of us who spend our lives doing this work really won't help you and just owning and being able to reference books is not equivalent to a professional qualification.

tell that to Dr. Hancourt-Brown. Don't kill the messenger. And she know enough that some publishing house pay her to write a book, sold around the world. Where's your book?

Last time I check, she has spend her life as a professional vet saving rabbits' lives.

In her photo by the way, she never said there is no incisor overgrow, rather, she's using that x-ray to show a few pt., among them, she is stating the apex of upper primary incisors is growing thru the incisive bone.

As such, it yields the kind of symptoms of what FudgeTort's rabbit has.

But that thing come along and said "it is minor".
That clearly isn't in agreement w/ what Dr. Hancourt-Brown said. So why don't you 2 tell her that?

tell that to Dr. Hancourt-Brown. Don't kill the messenger. And she know enough that some publishing house pay her to write a book, sold around the world. Where's your book?

Last time I check, she has spend her life as a professional vet saving rabbits' lives.

In her photo by the way, she never said there is no incisor overgrow, rather, she's using that x-ray to show a few pt., among them, she is stating the apex of upper primary incisors is growing thru the incisive bone.

That clearly isn't in agreement w/ what Dr. Hancourt-Brown said. So why don't you 2 tell her that?

There is not a problem with Frances' work, the badly copied sentence does appear to relate to incisor overgrowth. The problem was that on a radiograph with marked incisor changes you have erroneously highlighted the molars and placed arrows suggesting that the text description relates to them. Perhaps if you are unsure how to interpret a radiograph then a brief description of your views would be better than an incorrect radiograph?
"That thing" I assume relates to rodneyvet? He said nothing at all out of place and was in fact correct in his posts, although I suspect that is probably why you are unimpressed.

This is a curt reply! I think i will refrain from name calling.
Im also not going to get into a slanging match with someone who sits with his copy of the 5 minute vet consult and Harcourt-Browns book giving out advice. I dont think its unfair to correct your mislabelled xray with a sentance mentioning the incisors and arrows pointing to the maxillary cheek teeth and saying its "self explanatory". I can recommend many decent anatomy books if you wish to read further on rabbit oral anatomy.
Finally I apologise to the OP since this has gone off topic. I hope the rabbit gets on ok, please continue with updates

She went back to the vets today and she has been prescribed 7.5ml of Septrin twice a day for a week.
He even suggested the baytril might not have worked because I have been giving her it on food, so she might not have been getting every bit of it, even though I watched her eat it. Guess he kind of has a point.
Here's hoping this clears it up, if not, I'll go for the x-ray option. The vet said its not her teeth, but I have learnt not to trust them 100%.
I shall see.

Back