• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 months yesterday I lost Hermione.

coco1200

Warren Veteran
who would have known that it would STILL hurt this much 2 months down the line? I lost my girl after her spay... she had an enlarged heart which contributed to the affect of her not being able recover and going into statis.

I miss her so much, and I would do anything to get her back again :cry:. We still have her ashes with us, and we were supposed to be going to the coast to scatter them. I now have no idea what to do, becuase my parents don't know if we should go away anymore...

anyway, I made this memorial video of her, but i never posted it to show you guys. I cannot bear to watch it anymore, becuase I am in floods everytime I do watch it. It kills me to think she is not with me anymore, and it seems to me that I can't get over it. It doesn't help when I have someone blaming me for killing her becuase I put her through a spay. He will never realise how much Hermy meant to me. I think I loved her more than I love him. I hate him for saying this, and he has left me thinking wether or not if I am a capable bunny owner? It hurts so much.

right here it is;
click.

:cry::cry::cry:

You made a decision which we all have made, I spayed Jelly, and she was okay, but because she was okay after her spay that doesnt make me a better owner that you does it?

And if it was me who lost jelly and hermy was still around you would say the same to me. You made a decision which the majority fo this rabbit forum have made too, and many times.

Hermione was unlucky. thats not your fault. you didnt make a mistake, you didnt do anything wrong. it was a horrible unfortunate thing, but certainly ot your fault.

She was lucky to have you.

xxx

I agree with SJ.

We all make the decision to spay, in the long run its the right thing, what happened to Hermy was no-ones fault. You tried so hard for your beautiful girl i am sure she remembers that.

xx

Agreed with the above posts. We all make the decision to spay because it’s the lesser of the two evils, and the risk of complications after speying is much less than the 8 out of 10 risk of uterine cancer further down the line. No part of rabbit care comes without a certain degree of risk, we just have to make the best choices we can and go for the reduced risk options wherever possible which is what you did. By opting to have her speyed you were doing one of the best things you could have done for her, but sadly sometimes things don’t work out right.

Sadly I can’t watch the video at the moment as a) I’m in work and b) I’m leaving in 5 minutes myself for a vet appointment with Sora, but I will come back this evening and watch it and remember your beautiful girl with you :)

It doesn't matter what decision you make it can go wrong, you just have to use your best judgement from the information you have. Yours was the best decision, you couldn't have predicted the outcome.

A year ago to the day before you lost Hermie, 17 April 2008, I lost Scrat. I didn't know enough to make an informed decision (the vet consultation was a waste of time:?) I didn't have her spayed. I never made the decision NOT to, I just didn't get all the information I needed to make an informed decision to go ahead with a spay. I couldn't bear the idea of losing her at 6 months etc, I was very attached to her. I lost her at 3 years 9 months and to this day I don't know if it was uterine cancer/spread of cancer because I didn't have her spayed ....it could have been. Even though I lost her early she never had a GA so I might have lost her at 6months anyway, who would ever know?

Ironically I've just found out there's a video facility on my camera I never knew about and my first thought was that I could have had videos of Scrat if I'd have known, it was a major blow that I missed that opportunity.

Funny, I'm dwelling on the exact opposite things to you, the best way of coping that I've read on here regarding rabbits is the philosophy of "quality rather than quantity". You will know in your heart she had a happy life and that in the long term will help you through your grief.

Last edited:
That video is beautiful Janak, made me cry :oops: Hermy was such a happy bunny, she had the best life ever with you and Oscar, your are such a fab bunny dad, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

As everyone has said above, we all make the decision you made, your not bad for what you did at all, i made the decision for all of mine it was just unfortunate that Hermy had complications :( Please dont blame yourself *hugs* I really feel for you, take care hun xXx

Im sat here with tears streaming down my face. What a beautiful tribute to a very very special bunny.

I dont know what it is with these bunnys - but blimey they certainly do have a special hold on us dont they?

I loved the video of her in the snow.

x x x x

What a stunning tribute. It is evidently clear you loved your little darling. Everybody would have done the same. You did the right thing and Im sure Hermione is looking down on you and thanking her lucky stars she spent her life with you.

That was a truly moving tribute. It is so hard losing a pet that you love so much.
You gave Hermione the very best of homes-although her life was not as long as you would of wanted for her-she never knew pain, hunger or fear.
Your decision to spey was that of a responsible owner- there are always risks with operations unfortunately. None of us have a crystal ball, we just have to do the best and hope for the best.

She had a wonderful life with you and for that you should commend yourself:)

Gorgeous video Janak :)
I think Hermy will know, you had her best interests at heart sweetie.
The pain never goes away but it does get easier, I promise. I lost my Piper to gut stasis. When I miss her, I think of all the happy times we had togeather, and how crazy she would go for the sunshine and I smile again.
Hermy had a brilliant home which if you hadnt of got her - she might not of had!

That was a beautiful tribute to beautiful Hermione, Janak, i had a lump in my throat holding back the tears :cry:.

You cannot blame yourself, nor allow anyone else to blame you. What happened is tragic, and heartbreaking, but its no ones fault.

The pain does not go, but it eases with time. Your grieiving is a sign of how much Hermy meant to you. But as long as you remember her, she will always stay close to you, in that special place in your heart.

Oh God. That was beautiful. I definately had runny eyes there.
It wasnt your fault at all. Hermione was obviously doted on by you and that is obvious from the vid. Take care xx

I'm balling my eyes out watching your memorial video of Hermione.I think It makes us all remember a special friend we have lost.She was so beautiful Janak,big hugs to you Hun at this sad time xxxxxxxx

A lovely tribute for your special girl.Its 7 months since we lost Fluffy,I cant believe how time goes!!:(
hugs x

Lovely tribute to Hermione:D. Whoever as been saying horrible things to you about the decision you made are idiots. You did what was right for her and unfortunately what happens after is beyond anyones control. As regards to thinking your are a bad bunny daddy then I have proof in George:D that you defiantely are not so stop thinking it right now.

What a lovely tribute to beautiful Hermione, she looked like such a happy bunny. You gave her a very happy life and what happened to her was not your fault in any way.

Binky free beautiful Hermione :cry:

Back