• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have I just got a naughty bunny or?

Bunnykids

Alpha Buck
Or is she trying to tell me something?

I have a female 16 week old mini lop and have her and her brother for 8 weeks.

Everything going ok til this week,when She has decided to keep emptying her "bedroom" into her living room part of her hutch.
And then sleeping in her litter tray.
She does do a guilty look,though when go to see her and find whats she has done.

They both have toys and go in the run outside,so has anybody got any constructive ideas why she is doing this,as non of my other bunnies have ever done this.:lol:

Or is she trying to tell me something?

I have a female 16 week old mini lop and have her and her brother for 8 weeks.

Everything going ok til this week,when She has decided to keep emptying her "bedroom" into her living room part of her hutch.
And then sleeping in her litter tray.
She does do a guilty look,though when go to see her and find whats she has done.

They both have toys and go in the run outside,so has anybody got any constructive ideas why she is doing this,as non of my other bunnies have ever done this.:lol:

Yes, i'm afraid she's just being a bunny! They like to rearrange their territory as they like it to be....they have no concept of tidiness or order, they just do what is instinctive. Sometimes rabbits who are frustrated about something else will use their environment to vent their frustration, sometimes because they want to let you know and other times because they just do it instinctively. The guilty look may be a learned response if you have responded to her behaviour before....she now expects a certain response from you as a pattern. It's always best to ignore destructive behaviour and give no response at all. It could also be starting to happen as she is reaching her adolesence...her hormones could be confusing her or telling her to 'nest'. You may find if, and when, you have her spayed this behaviour will calm down a little, or not....depends on the bunny i'm afraid!
Hope that explains things a bit, she may just want to rearrange her cage as she likes it to be....it's better to go with it than try to change the mind of a determined bunny!!:D

Yes, i'm afraid she's just being a bunny! They like to rearrange their territory as they like it to be....they have no concept of tidiness or order, they just do what is instinctive. Sometimes rabbits who are frustrated about something else will use their environment to vent their frustration, sometimes because they want to let you know and other times because they just do it instinctively. The guilty look may be a learned response if you have responded to her behaviour before....she now expects a certain response from you as a pattern. It's always best to ignore destructive behaviour and give no response at all. It could also be starting to happen as she is reaching her adolesence...her hormones could be confusing her or telling her to 'nest'. You may find if, and when, you have her spayed this behaviour will calm down a little, or not....depends on the bunny i'm afraid!
Hope that explains things a bit, she may just want to rearrange her cage as she likes it to be....it's better to go with it than try to change the mind of a determined bunny!!:D

Thankyou for your reply:D
It`s a long time since I owned rabbits and my netherland dwarfs never did anything like that.:lol:

It is comical to look at though,as all her bedding is in the living room area in piles and she is lounged out in her litter tray,that has been moved next to her hay rack,for easy reach.:lol::D

A bit off topic but (you probably know this but thought I should check) are they housed separately or neutered? Is possible your girl could get pregnant despite being so young. They sound very normal to me, just buns being buns. I find behaviour like that very cute even though it causes more work :D

A bit off topic but (you probably know this but thought I should check) are they housed separately or neutered? Is possible your girl could get pregnant despite being so young. They sound very normal to me, just buns being buns. I find behaviour like that very cute even though it causes more work :D

Living seperately,but in hutches next to each other.
Just a bunny having fun,by the looks of it.:lol:

Bought them as brother and sister,but the one that she said was a boy is a girl and the one that she said was a girl is a boy.:D

Two super friendly healthy bunnies,that the kids love to bits.:love:

I definately wouldnt worry, one of my female buns rearranged her cage all her life!

When she was younger she used to take all her hay bedding into her living area, and when she got older she did the opposite, id clean her out, come down a few hours later and find most of the sawdust pushed into the bedding box piled high and her toys in it like a nest! This happened even after she was spayed! People would honestly think she never got cleaned out the way she messed it up, usually as soon as i shut the cage doors! :lol:

Shes the only bun iv had thats done this, but none of them seem to use the bedding box unless they know theyre getting medicine then they hide there!:lol:

Aslong as you can easily clean her wee and poo area out and shes not getting sore hocks just go with it!

Living seperately,but in hutches next to each other.
Just a bunny having fun,by the looks of it.:lol:

Bought them as brother and sister,but the one that she said was a boy is a girl and the one that she said was a girl is a boy.:D

Two super friendly healthy bunnies,that the kids love to bits.:love:

That's good. Sorry if I was insulting your intelligence by asking that but some people don't think they would be old enough to get pregnant or heard a rumour that it can't happen to siblings.

Glad they are lovely and doing well. You going to get them neutered and put them back together at some point?

My two does used their upstairs bedroom quite happily for a while after I got them at 9 weeks then all hell broke loose. They emptied the bedroom sending all the straw over the ramp, downstairs and often out of the open door into the run. It drove me mad for ages, I put it back they moved it out. I have no idea why they did it but it was me that got fed up first! Eventually I stopped making a nice bed in the upstairs bit as they always sleep downstairs now either in the litter tray or next to it. Rabbits!!!!:roll:

Back