• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I ' m concerned for my friend ' s Bunny x

Socks Rocks

New Kit
I went to my friend ' s house in Prescot ( 17 minutes away from where I live ) on Sunday and she has an old Bunny ( I ' m not quite sure how old ) that lives at her Nan ' s house . ( Because my friend ' s Mum doesn ' t love the Bunny , but my friend ' s Nan doesn ' t even like the Bunny :cry: ) Anyway we went to her Nan ' s house together as she was told she had to clean the Bunny ' s hutch out . My friend ' s Bunny grunts ( Socks doesn ' t even make a noise ) and thumps when you try to pick her up . ( Socks only thumps when she ' s seen a Cat , etc . ) Eventually my friend picked her up when we noticed she had a white liquid coming out of her right eye . It wasn ' t thick and when you squeezed the Bunny ' s eye more of the liquid came out . My friend took the Bunny to her Nan who told her to wipe the eye and put her back in her hutch . I didn ' t know what to say at the time but now I feel guilty and concerned , incase this is a big problem . Does anyone know what this liquid could be ? If you need anymore information please ask me ! Thankyou x

Last edited:
Sounds like an infection either in the eye or behind it....e.g. abcess perhaps? Either way this bunny will likely be in quite a lot of pain, and it must be pretty distressing to have fluid in its eye. I think you need to try and talk to your friend and get her to persuade someone to take this poor bunny to the vet ASAP. Can you talk to your parents and perhaps ask them to help you with this if it's a bit trick on your own? It might help your friend if she could explain to her mum/nan that it is potentially against the law not to seek veterinary attention for a sick animal. Very tricky situation. Perhaps if they can't be bothered with the rabbit they could do the kind thing and hand it in to a rescue centre?

Get the bunny to the vet asap. I have seen a situation like this before where a buns teeth had grown up into it's eye socket and got infected and had pus coming out of it's eye. It could be something else but either way must see a vet.

Thankyou both for your help x

I ' ve only know her since last November and i ' ve only visited her house twice , so I do have trouble talking to her on a more personal level x

But I will ask her how the Bunny ' s eye is as soon as I can get hold of her , and if the problem is still there then i ' ll do everything I possibly can to convince her to take the Bunny to a vet x

Last edited:
It could be simple infection needing antibitoics. It could be start of paturella leads to snuffles which can kill bunnies.
It may be a blocked tear duct due to dust or tooth either way this bunny needs to see a vet asap.
My Angel began with runny eye we now know she has mouth disease and needs regular dentals. When her eye is very bad she cant open it. Her tear duct is so damaged it has shut down completely and now doesn't work. She does need eyedrops everyday which is also a pain relief.

Back