• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ear mites yet again...

Michelle666

Mama Doe
Poor Lou. This year is turning out to be a bad year for her. She was spayed in Feb, got ear mites in march. Ended up with a foreign body in her ear in may, and then got a dislocated toe. Now a week later after the toe incident im booking us back in again for another bout of Ear mites.

Why does she keep getting them? She goes long periods of time without them. I cut out straw as I believed that was the cause. Another option though is the vet bed...could she be allergic. Ive heard a few sneezes coming from her. Thelmas fine (as always!)

Is there anything I could administer myself for the mites?

I wonder if she has a hidden underlying infection of some kind which is making her more susceptible to repeat mite infections?
I think it is generally understood that mite populations exist on rabbits anyway, even healthy ones, at a level which the rabbit can manage and which doesn't cause a problem. However, when a bunny is run down, the mite populations get a chance to multiply out of control. Self-grooming is one way they manage them. I know this applies to the Cheyletiella skin mite, not sure about the ear variety!?
Does your bunny have lop ears? as these tend to be more prone to ear mites I think?
Vet beds are specially designed to be non-allergenic, I wonder if it is either dust up her nose from a dusty litter or hay? or maybe Pasturella or other upper respiratory tract infection? Perhaps your vet could do more investigations?

She's a conti, so have huge upright ears. She's not been well recently (dislocated toe last week) and is on a course of Metacham - perhaps this is why she has them again.

Dust could be an issue with her...my house is a bit of a building site at present, and she usually lives outside.

We will be visiting the vet on Saturday!

Yeah will be taking her on Saturday morning. Its pretty obvious is mites. The nurse said chances are its brought on as shes already feeling under the weather about her toe!

The last time she had it was a week after her spay!

I'm just thinking outloud here...

In dogs, breeds like spaniels for example are more prone to ear infections, ear mites etc. There is a powder called Thornit, which is used by many spaniel owners to prevent and to an extent treat such ear problems very successfully. In fact, I have used it on my own American Cocker Spaniel from 10 weeks old and he has never had any ear problems.
Since using it for our pyrenees, he has never needed his ears cleaned either.

I think if I had a bunny with recurring ear problems, I'd be tempted to use Thornit and see whether it makes any difference. I would say to ask the vet, but most vets will tell you not to use powder in ears with dogs either, yet it is no problem at all in dogs. So you couldn't really rely on a vet's opinion in this particular case...

As I said, just thinking outloud here, but maybe worth a shot. ;)

Vera

I'm just thinking outloud here...

In dogs, breeds like spaniels for example are more prone to ear infections, ear mites etc. There is a powder called Thornit, which is used by many spaniel owners to prevent and to an extent treat such ear problems very successfully. In fact, I have used it on my own American Cocker Spaniel from 10 weeks old and he has never had any ear problems.
Since using it for our pyrenees, he has never needed his ears cleaned either.

I think if I had a bunny with recurring ear problems, I'd be tempted to use Thornit and see whether it makes any difference. I would say to ask the vet, but most vets will tell you not to use powder in ears with dogs either, yet it is no problem at all in dogs. So you couldn't really rely on a vet's opinion in this particular case...

As I said, just thinking outloud here, but maybe worth a shot. ;)

Vera

Hmmm! Worth asking about...might look into to this a little more

What is the name of a more common Rabbit preventitive for mites etc? Is it Spot-on?

Back