• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor gem bunny :(

dayle_x

Mama Doe
Giving them veggies this morning and gem seemed a little down, so picked her up and there was blood on my hand. Underneath her a big gaping hole just next to her lady bits! Took her straight to the vets where they took her in and had it stitched up, and an unexpected £50 vet bill.
I hope shes ok, any ideas how it was done? Could another rabbit of done it?

Yeah sounds like a bite. Hope she's ok - if she's with other buns, getting them all neutered/spayed may help reduce fighting

If there are no other buns in with her does she have a ramp with any sharp bits on it or any wooden/willow toys with sharp protrusions?

bunnies have such thin skin, you bunny is lucky you are a good owner that noticed the change in her behavior and was happy to foot the bill. a bunny came to me a few years ago with the same problem, their owner was refusing to pay to get wound sealed.

there bunny wasnt very good at cleaning itself and the owner was prepared to do it - poor bunny had a solid mass of waste on its bottom that had got caught in the hutch and torn the inside of her leg. I was horrified, i took bunny straight to vets where she was cleaned, treated and fixed up and then i found her a new home as a spoilt house bunny.

i hope your bunny feels more comfortable soon!

She lives with six other buns, but they all get on amazingly well.
She had an injection of ceropax or something, and they have given me some baytril to give her from now on.
Do you think i should clean it as well?

Both my boys are neutered, but the does aren't. I said I would only spay them if they started being hormonal/nasty to each other. They are all so placid and loving towards each other right now.
However Pixie and Phoenix escaped from their hutch a couple of days before, and while phoenix couldn't care less flopped out, pixie was causing havoc. I guess it could of been pixie that did it?

Both my boys are neutered, but the does aren't. I said I would only spay them if they started being hormonal/nasty to each other. They are all so placid and loving towards each other right now.
However Pixie and Phoenix escaped from their hutch a couple of days before, and while phoenix couldn't care less flopped out, pixie was causing havoc. I guess it could of been pixie that did it?

How big an area are you keeping 6 does in.. and 6 un-neutered does are a recipe for disaster. Even if they just have spats now and then that you aren't aware of, it's not worth the risk. I would say for certain one of your other rabbits caused the wound as it's a prime location and injury caused by a fight.

They are in a garage with a run attatched on the outside, dont know how big it is .. and they will soon have 17ft x 6ft shed and avairy run. There are 5 does in the group, Pixie and Phoenix live seperate.
As I said if there is any problems I would get them done, but for now they are fantastic together.

They are in a garage with a run attatched on the outside, dont know how big it is .. and they will soon have 17ft x 6ft shed and avairy run. There are 5 does in the group, Pixie and Phoenix live seperate.
As I said if there is any problems I would get them done, but for now they are fantastic together.

hmmmm.. but it still sounds as though something has happened to gem, do you mean that it could have been Pixie or Phoenix who may have fought with her as opposed to the others in the group....

I had an identical sounding problem in a guinea pig who lives alone, very recently. Had to be sedated, cleaned out and stapled. Vet reckoned he had an abscess which burst outwards. Just a thought.

hmmmm.. but it still sounds as though something has happened to gem, do you mean that it could have been Pixie or Phoenix who may have fought with her as opposed to the others in the group....

Yeah I think it must of been Pixie, shes a little brat towards any other rabbit except phoenix

Back