• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Myths and Tales

sidereus7

Mama Doe
So many people have told me things they "knew" about rabbits that were actually totally false.

One person told me that rabbits like having a small cage, because it reminds them of the tight quarters of a warren. :shock:

What "wisdom" have others imparted on you?

I was told that boy buns HAVE to live alone! Unless of course they live with a GP!!!:shock:

Fortunately I soon found out that this wasnt true!

I have had more than one person keen to tell me how to look after my rabbits say that you shouldn't pick them up by the ears... you should pick them up by the scruff of the neck instead. :roll:

Ive been told that they are rodents :? which is NOT true
Ive been told only male and female can live together as male/male female/female will fight to the death!
I was told to feed unlimited pellets as without this they could die :?

There are more i just cant think of them just now :roll:

Ive been told that they are rodents :? which is NOT true
Ive been told only male and female can live together as male/male female/female will fight to the death!
I was told to feed unlimited pellets as without this they could die :?

There are more i just cant think of them just now :roll:

Bet you have been told they only need hay at night too ;) :censored:

My friend said that they were aggressive, don't need a big hutch and don't need unlimited hay :roll:

Buns hate climbing and like to have all four feet on the ground at all times.

This is Rio sitting on top of the oil tank having climbed up the log pile.

PICT0108.jpg

Buns hate climbing and like to have all four feet on the ground at all times.

This is Rio sitting on top of the oil tank having climbed up the log pile.

PICT0108.jpg

Oh bless his face! Was he ok coming down? That's what worries me whenever mine climb something....they just seem to throw themselves off :shock:

Yes, he was fine, but I was absolutely terrified he might fall. He just loves to climb so now we try and prevent him from being able to climb so high that if he jumped off he would hurt himself.

Yes, he was fine, but I was absolutely terrified he might fall. He just loves to climb so now we try and prevent him from being able to climb so high that if he jumped off he would hurt himself.

Awww, but with Rio's huge ears, he could probably fly down. :lol::lol:

That rabbits should get picked up by there ears and i seen this done by the classroom assistant in the nursery I was in numerous time. Poor bunny was so aggressive but they wouldnt get him neutered either :(

when i took my rabbits from my cousin they told me that they only need to be cleaned out every two-three weeks and to "chuck in a bowl of carrots" for food!!

That rabbits eat lettuce and have a lifespan of 2-3 years :roll:

The first part is not entirely untrue, but in this instance they were referring to the common lettuce (i.e iceberg) way back then :?

Ive been told by a friend who has a rabbit that 'she will not eat pellets at all she doesnt like them and i just have to give her mix' and 'she just will not eat hay so i dont give her it'

This woman gives a full bowl of food a day plus a hand full of mixed treats and she says shes not overweight and will NOT take my advice :roll:
So i gave up!!

Oh i was told once that rabbits cant feel pain :shock::evil: and that they dont need fed everyday because they dont eat all the time in the wild :censored::censored: LIES

Oh and the classic they dont need hay!!! i was speaking to a woman who said she doesnt give her rabbit hay because it makes her house messy :censored::censored::censored: Yet again no one listens to my advice :roll:

Some people dont have a clue :?

Back