• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Awful day

Nikki26

Mama Doe
I seem to be having one of those times at the moment where nothing seems to be going right.

I had a happy little set up in my garden with my rabbits Audrey and Dougal. Sadly, I lost Audrey to a fox a couple of weeks ago which devastated me and made me feel so guilty.

But for the sake of Dougal, I took him back to my local rescue centre to get him bonded with a new bun. I brought Dougal and Elsie home last Friday and they settled back in fine and he loved her, giving her loads of face washes.

Then this morning, I found her with paralysed back legs, I rushed her to the vet who said she had severe E-conniculi and should be put to sleep. Thinking this was the best thing for her, I reluctantly agreed. I called the rescue centre to tell them what had happened and they were very upset at the vets as they said it could have been treated. I now feel so guilty and I am now terrified that if I bond Dougal with someone else, I will lose them too.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you are having such a sad time.:( I'm afraid, the woman at the rescue centre was right: EC can be treated. However, she shouldn't have shouted at you. Your vet seems to be ignorant. The best thing to do is get another friend for your bunny and try to find a rabbit savvy vet. Perhaps, people here may be able to help if you post your area.

I'm sorry.
Many of us here have experienced losses close together and know the despair, guilt and grief you are feeling. We feel like we must be terrible owners, but the truth is that bunnies are fragile. They are programmed to'live fast and die young'. 5t doesn't help that some vets seem all to eager to put them down rather than attempting treatment.
Remember how happy Dougal was with Audrey. He will be again when you are ready to bond him with a new rabbit. If would be a shame to deny him that xx

Sorry you lost your buns. Is your housing definitely secure now? Cos a fox would usually come back

A high percentage of buns actually carry EC. It might be worthwhile panacuring your remaining bun as a one off - 9 days is for worming, 28 days is to treat EC - although it only works if the spores are active.

I had one of my buns put to sleep recently with myxi - she wasn't from a Rescue centre, but I think if she had have been I would have tried to contact them first

Back