• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnant Doe

We got a rescue doe we suspect she maybe pregnant and just wondered is it ok to handle her each day? She a nice bun but alot of work to catch i know it will get better with more handling but i dont want to make her cross if she is expecting. We also got the sister as they are bonded will i need to seperate them if she is expecting?

The lady we rescued her from told me she got out with her male rabbit thats why im concerned.

Any advise would be really appreciated thank you

If you suspect she is pregnant i wouldnt stress her out by trying to handle her if shes not used to being handled.

Where did you rescue her from? Ive never had a pregnant doe so cant advise anymore... someone will be along soon :) xXx

Firstly id advise you to find a rabbit savvy vet who could palpatate the bunnys tummy and feel for kits (not a good idea to do it yourself) id also advise you to ring the rescue if she does have babys.
My pregnant doe didnt want to be picked up near the end of pregnancy, basically if bunny wants picked up and fussed fair nd good but if she makes very displeasing noises at you and struggles to get down then leave her be.
Im suprised a rescue has allowed a doe to become pregnant and allowed it to be rehomed.. :?

Thanks for your reply it wasnt a rescue centre, she was a lady who claimed to have stopped the rabbits going to the rspca and took them off a friend along with 2 other rabbits. When i got there im not sure her story was true as it didnt add up as she had a litter of 3 week old kits aswell :?

TBH your probably going to have a hard time getting the babys a new home, esp if bunny has a big litter (my girl had 8 kitts!!)
Once bunnys are rehomed, then it would be advisable to get bunny spayed. It'll stop unwanted pregnancy & reduce her risk of uterine cancer! :)

Firstly id advise you to find a rabbit savvy vet who could palpatate the bunnys tummy and feel for kits (not a good idea to do it yourself)

I have breeding does and they don't like to be handled near the end of their pregnancy so i would just see what she has. I wouldn't take her to the vet as that would just stress her out even more if you handled her yourself. As for separating the two does i would do even though they are bonded. Sometimes the females can get overprotected even towards rabbits the know well. Most people like to have baby rabbits in the summer so i wouldn't think selling them would be an issue for you. Good Luck!

Back