• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how do I give oral meds?????

chrissie

New Kit
We finally have Rosie back home :D I've got to give her 3 lots of meds.... 5 times a day in total. They came with a syringe and they said to mix it with a bit of orange juice to make it taste nice, but I have no idea how to get it in her mouth.... do I have to hold her and pop it in the side? will she just lap it up? Do I have to open her mouth? They told me what to give her and when.... but not how :?

It depends on the bunny- if I poke it through the bars of Strawberrys run he will bite the end and I can squirt it in. With Snowdrop I have to hold her down, put the syringe in the corner of her mouth and squirt it into her mouth.

You need to do it really slowly otherwise you risk them choking on it.

Depends on the meds. If they are nice tasting you might get them down by letting them soak into a treat such as a tiny piece of toast. I have often given panacur on a slice of pear and the buns lap it up.
If the medicine is bitter tasting you will have to try the 'bunny burito' method: wrap the bun in a towel, facing away from you. Rabbits have a gap between the incisors and the cheek teeth so aim the syringe into the side of the mouth, at a right angle to the rabbit, and syringe the medicine in just behind the inscisors.
Never give a bunny medicine whilst cradling it like a baby, as it may aspirate it, which can cause pneumonia.
Good luck xx

I would pour a small amt. of orange juice on a cup. Pour your medicine in it, mix it up. Use the syringe to suck up the liquid.

Put the syringe at the near center of the tongue, so it won't leak out.

push the syringe slowly because if you go too fast, it could gaet into the lung

well, she still pulled away even wrapped up :( Worried about it going into the lung now too :?

Do you think the vet would swap it for injections instread? r would that be worse.

He suggested adding orange. would it be worth popping it on toast mixed with orange? Theres only enough meds to last until monday when we go back.... would worry about her not eating it!

Thank you for the tip about at a right angle, wasn't sure where to try and put it!

My bunnies LOVE metacam so when on meds they usually get metacam as well so i put the med in the syringe like baytril etc and then put a little of their metacam in the end so everytime they go to the syringe they thing they are getting metacam and then get the awful taste after :lol:

Works everytime :D Or i use pineapple juice for millie and thumper as they arent as keen on metacam as the rest:)

humm!

Hi,
New to this! Just signed up (so forgive me if im posting in the wrong place) LOL.
Been using this site for ages and really feel there is a community spirit!
Really pasionate about my buns, as im sure you all are too.
How do i get photos of my buns on the bottom of my posts??:wave:

Hi there. I have used the squirt a little into the mouth behind the front teeth for Panacur which has had varied success.

What does always seem to work is to add the meds to a bit of mashed banana. My buns will lick the bowl clean!

Hi there. I have used the squirt a little into the mouth behind the front teeth for Panacur which has had varied success.

What does always seem to work is to add the meds to a bit of mashed banana. My buns will lick the bowl clean!

I have never had a problem giving panacur, the buns seem to like it and eat it happily on food

well, she still pulled away even wrapped up :( Worried about it going into the lung now too :?

Do you think the vet would swap it for injections instread? r would that be worse.

He suggested adding orange. would it be worth popping it on toast mixed with orange? Theres only enough meds to last until monday when we go back.... would worry about her not eating it!

Thank you for the tip about at a right angle, wasn't sure where to try and put it!

What meds are you giving?
I personally prefer giving injections to giving something nasty tasting by mouth as the buns generally find it less stressful but it depends what you are giving.

Hi,

she is on Metacam once a day

Baytril twice a day

Zantac twice a day

I've just tried to give her some in mushed banana, hasn't touched it and she can break free from the towel and I can't get it in her mouth. She pulls herself back inside the towel, goodness knows how when it's just her head sticking out, but she does and tries to escape. Should probably be firmer with the towel, but I'm scared of hurting her.

Do you think they can be given by injection? I don't like putting her through the stress of it 5 times a day... poor thing.

On a good note she is eating well and is alert and wants to explore when I take her out of the cage for meds. Not sure how long I should leave it until letting her hop around.... will ask the vet on monday.... or before if they have to change her meds???

Thank you for all the tips :)

INjection will be much worse if you can't even syringe feed him. If you can't do it right, use a towel and wrap it around your bun, that's how vets do it in the hospital.

They are all available in injection form, but I don't know whether the zantac can be given by injection to rabbits, or whether it will be effective. I have no experience of it.
If you are confident about giving injections you could ask your vet about it.
Have you tried letting the meds soak into a little piece of bread or toast for a whilke then offering them?(norty foods but worth a try)

Hi,

she is on Metacam once a day

Baytril twice a day

Zantac twice a day

I've just tried to give her some in mushed banana, hasn't touched it and she can break free from the towel and I can't get it in her mouth. She pulls herself back inside the towel, goodness knows how when it's just her head sticking out, but she does and tries to escape. Should probably be firmer with the towel, but I'm scared of hurting her.

Do you think they can be given by injection? I don't like putting her through the stress of it 5 times a day... poor thing.

On a good note she is eating well and is alert and wants to explore when I take her out of the cage for meds. Not sure how long I should leave it until letting her hop around.... will ask the vet on monday.... or before if they have to change her meds???

Thank you for all the tips :)

Fudge LOVEs zantac and metacam, will she not take it herself from the syringe? the metacam has a honey flavour with most buns like as it quite sweet!

What i also do is put some on a basil leaf or mint leaf (something with a strong taste and smell) and put a little on at a time:D
That works with mine :)

Rosie has been a good girl and ate all her mushed banana wih her meds mixed in! :D Not sure if it's ok to mix them up all in one go or not, but she's eating it, so that's good :D

I might try the 3 of them on toast and odd bits of bananas for treats every so often so I know if they ever have to have meds again, they will all eat them ok. :)

Last edited:
Back