• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Re-occuring Weeping eye

neilp83

Young Bun
Hi, I have a one year old mini-lop who is suffering from a re-curring weeping eye.

Firstly we took him to the vets and they cleared out his tear duct and gave him some anti-biotic eye drops. This worked for a few days, and then the problem came back.

We took him back the vets, and they suggested anaesthetising him and clearing out the duct properly. We had this done and they said what came out looked like toothpaste! They also said he had spurs on his teeth, which were sorted out at the same time. They sent him home with eye drops again, which we used for two weeks (plus we gave him a daily nose massage to keep things moving). This seemed to fix the problem but yet again it has returned.

I am wondering if there is some problem with the environment he lives in which is causing this to come back.

One thing I could think of is that we use a cat litter tray for them as a toilet (he is a house bun), which is covered (it has a lid but no swing door). Could this be causing problems? We used to use mega-sorb in there but stopped as the buns like to dig, and it is quite dusty. We started using newspaper topped with straw, which isn't at all dusty, but it still came back.

Surely his duct isn't blocked again after a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know what could be causing it?

Thanks,
Neil

PS Sorry for the long post but I thought I would lay out as much detail as possible.

Sometimes a weeping eye can be indicative of a periapical abcess that presses on the nasolacrimal duct, I wonder if when he was under they did an Xray? Molar spurs are often associated with abnormal tooth root elongation.

Looks like another trip to the vets asap. I'm not sure if an x-ray was done last time. I think it might have been. I'm not sure. My partner took him last time and she is away on holiday. The vets should have a record if they did.

I also suspect a tooth is growing upwards towards the jaw, thus this problem you have. You need a round the head x-ray. This photo should explain everything

teethovergrow2.jpg

Firstly, thanks for your replies. Very helpful and informative as always.

Got Jack back from the vets, where they flushed his tear duct again. Wide awake this time, poor guy.

He has had x-rays and his teeth are fine. The duct is being blocked by a bacteria build up. You could see white lumps in the water after flushing.

The vet has suggested sending a sample off to the lab to get analysed, which we will be doing soon.

They also said that this could be a life long condition meaning eye drops and regular flushed for the rest of his days.

Does anyone else have a bunny that has to do this?

Thanks,
PS Here's a photo, its nice to put a face to a name

CIMG1492-1.jpg

I hope the vet used local anaesthetic!
It is a good idea to find out which bacteria is causing the problem so the vet can give the right antibiotic. Some, such as pasteurella, can be very stubborn and difficult to clear up.

No local anaesthetic was used. I'm guessing by that response that he should have?

If so I will be having words :censored:

No local anaesthetic was used. I'm guessing by that response that he should have?

Hi, one of mine has had conscious flush a couple of times. They put drops in the eye to numb it normally.

You may want to have a look at what your bunny (very beautiful bunny by the way) has for bedding in case it is a dust allergy or something. I changed to fleece blankets during the summer and always use dust free hay now. I also use megazorb in the litter tray (some people use sawdust).

We did use megazorb in a cat litter tray (covered) but stopped as the buns like to dig, and seems to be quite dusty. We started using newspaper topped with straw.

I have recently taken the cover from the litter tray so that it is open. Maybe that was what was causing the problems...I hope so.

We did use megazorb in a cat litter tray (covered) but stopped as the buns like to dig, and seems to be quite dusty. We started using newspaper topped with straw.

I have recently taken the cover from the litter tray so that it is open. Maybe that was what was causing the problems...I hope so.

It can be trial and error. Hope it helps the problem.

Put it this way, I haven't seen it done without. I have no idea whether it is painful or not but can only guess.
With local anaesthetic the buns usually tolerate it really well.

I will be mentioning this to the vet next time I seem him. It doesn't take much effort to administer a local.

If it is going to be a regular thing I don't want him having to go through a painful procedure every month.

I will be mentioning this to the vet next time I seem him. It doesn't take much effort to administer a local.

If it is going to be a regular thing I don't want him having to go through a painful procedure every month.

Usually it's just a few drops in each eye before putting the cannula in. The procedure itself shouldn't be painful but will feel a little uncomfortable for the bunny and the local is more to stop this feeling and stop the rabbit reacting and wiggling while it's done!

Back