• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabsleys incisors have been extracted

ZoeZo

Young Bun
Hello there, Im new, found this site when googled for rabbit advice.

He's my first ever bunny and 5 years old and only just had trouble with his teeth, the vet tried a 'bunny brace' to try to re-align his teeth but sadly it didn't work so yesterday they extracted them

I'm due to pick him up later, have bought some baby food as suggested on here somewhere to try to encourage him to eat, just not sure what else can give me and any special care? Im worried he'll be miserable that he wont be able to nibble grass or groom :(

Zoe

Last edited:
Hi, oh dear poor bun! Atleast he's had them sorted now, don't worry, lots of buns manage perfectly well without their incisors:)
Baby food is fine, although i'd suggest something with a bit more fibre - you should be able to pick up a Critical care syringe food product from your vet which is very high in fibre and helps to keep the tummy going whilst they are a bit off their food post-op, some buns don't like it that much so stirring baby food into it can make it more palatable. You may not need it though...bunny might eat himself if you're lucky, his usual pellets softened with a bit of water or some grated veggies to get him going might be enough. Soon enough he should be back to his normal food, you might need to chop his veg up a bit more than normal that's all. Post-op just keep him warm, comfortable and encourage eating, if at any point he stops wanting to eat (perhaps tomorrow when pain relief wears off) he will probably need another dose of pain relief from vet.
He'll be ok don't worry:) Friend of mine had her buns incisors extracted she coped fine with it. Perhaps you could do his brushing for him, he'll enjoy that, and you can always cut and pick grass for him instead. He might even learn to use his lips if you allow the grass to grow longer:) Better still...how about a bunny friend to help him groom! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for your encouragement prettylupin, they are going to show me how to syringe feed him when I collect him! Can see him being very grumpy about that :lol:

He might feel more like eating when he's in his own home, good to hear that they do do well after losing their teeth

Zoe

He's stubborn little fella too so I don't expect him to give in easily, even if it is for his own good!

At 5 years old, and always being on his own (plus he is 'intact' shall we say) it is a good idea to introduce a bunny friend to him?

Zoe

Yeah syringe feeding is one of those things that takes practice but am sure you'll master it quickly, necessity is a quick teacher! The most important thing is 'confidence' be firm and you'll find it much easier:) Am sure he'll definitely do better at home rather than at the vet, the only thing with being at the vet is that bunny is more compliant usually due to fear!
I'd let him recover from his Op and then maybe in a few months time you could perhaps consider having him neutered and getting him a bunny friend? 5 yrs isn't too old! Lots of lovely rescue buns of all ages needing homes:)

As soon as the back door was open a tad upon his return he escaped in to the garden (I didn't want him getting dirt in his mouth) he went straight to his favourite plant and tried to eat the leaves off of it!

They had fed him well yesterday, and he has been eating grated carrot, carrot leafy tops, picked grass and dandelion leaves (vet suggested leaving some made up critical care mixed with the baby food and some dampened normal mix but he hasn't touched either), if he's not eating much of it, plus to give him proper nutrition (is it safe to eat just carrot and greens?) I may syringe feed him lunch.
I guess the vets are emotionally unattached so to speak, it goes against the grain to see our 'loved ones' in discomfort or struggling through our doing, even though it is for the best!

I got his painkiller into him not matter what this morning.

Could bunny friend share the same hutch too? I did mention to Jason a bunny friend (considering it was him that 'rescued' rabsley and brought him home in the first place - saying that I've always looked after him, like kids with hamster eh, who cleans them out... lol) he wasn't over enthralled with the idea!

Thanks for everyones input!

Zoe

Last edited:
if he's not eating much of it, plus to give him proper nutrition (is it safe to eat just carrot and greens?) I may syringe feed him lunch.

Could bunny friend share the same hutch too? I did mention to Jason a bunny friend
Zoe

Plenty of nutrition in grass, dandelions and carrot tops (full of Vit A) for the 'short term', the concern might be by the end of the day at the lack of fibre, as although greens are fibrous his gut motility will be better engaged with some intake of high fibre e.g. hay, mind you, if he's having lots of grass then that should be just fine for now instead. If he's that alert you could stress him out trying to syringe feed him. Have you tried just offering some food on a syringe? all buns are different....mine goes mad for it and tries to swallow the syringe and my hand!!:lol: I'd just give him time for now and keep an eye on his eating, he sounds like he's doing ok and doesn't need syringe food at this point. Have you put some hay and pellets out for him to try?

They can share the same hutch eventually but would need bonding in a neutral environment first - lots of posts in behaviour/bonding section of forum. Also depends on size of hutch - RWAF says for 2 buns minimum 6ftx2ft
Glad your bun is doing so well :D

Thanks PL, I haven't tried his normal pellets yet as thought they might be too tough for his sore mouth?

I didn't even think to offer the syringe! Thought he's associate the smell with discomfort of being force fed.

Our garden is bunny proof, he (usually) has the run of the garden all day. I'd defo let them grow accustomed to each other first, we do that with any new ponies that want to share with my old girl. I'd love another bun!

Again many thanks for your great advice!

Zoe

Back