• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any one offer advice on special needs bunny?

deja224

Alpha Buck
We picked up a run from a lady who longer had use for it, when we had a look in the run there was a small very wet and very cold bunny, i thought it was dead the woman said no it was alive they would 'sort it later':censored: i bought the run and bunny home after some strong words, we have done every to feed her up, the vet thought she was a young rabbit now we are not sure (any hints on ageing a bunny) she has slight brain damage and has had blood test ect which have all come back clear yet shes still a hat rack, she very lively eats and drinks well, any hints tips what we could do to help her please dont say pts shes to well for that

thanks

That is awful. They didn't even wait for her to die before selling her home! :censored:

Did the tests include a test for e.c? if not it may be worth treating for it. Even a negative result doesn't always mean that the bun hasn't had it so I would treat for it anyway.
What are the signs of her brain damage?
Are you monitoring her weight? A little porridge can be helpful for weight gain but she may not need it now she is being looked after properly.
I don't know any ways to reliably age a bunny i'm afraid.
well done for rescueing her xx

Bless You for saving her! What awful people to do this! I'm disgusted :evil:

Agreed! I can't offer any advice but thank goodness you got her out of there.

I hope she improves with time. I don't think anyone would tell you to pts - hopefully you'll find something to help her along.

That is awful. They didn't even wait for her to die before selling her home! :censored:

OMG! I can't believe that....digusting! Thank god you were there to rescue the poor little thing, how heartless of them:evil:
Well done, I'm sure whatever happens your new bun will be eternally grateful to be somewhere warm and dry and loved :)

with her brain damage she kind of walks rather than hops and she falls on her back and just lays there, also she has major mood swings, going from lovey cute bunny she then just starts grunting and attacking and then back to normal, i will check what bloods they have done, shes kind of been signed off by the vets they just say let her enjoy what life she has left, feel so angry at people that do this :evil:

with her brain damage she kind of walks rather than hops and she falls on her back and just lays there, also she has major mood swings, going from lovey cute bunny she then just starts grunting and attacking and then back to normal, i will check what bloods they have done, shes kind of been signed off by the vets they just say let her enjoy what life she has left, feel so angry at people that do this :evil:

I don't think this sounds like brain damage, possibly damage to the spine :(

Sounds like this bunny needs intensive care and to see a rabbit savvy vet. She will probably need pain relief at the very least if she has a mobilty issue. Do you know any experienced rabbit owners in your area who might be able to help out or recommend a vet?

I agree it sounds like she is in pain.

However i do think it is possible that brain damage is the cause of some of her problems. I would recommend getting a conscious spinal x-ray done if possible to see the extent of of any damage there. We have found that severe mobility issues are usually a combination of both spinal and neurological damage:?

I agree with abbymarysmokey, that description sounds like a bunny with pain, possibly in the spine, pelvis or legs xx

With the falling over on her back - this could be spinal or brain problems - but has the vet confirmed she has no middle ear infection? Does she have headtilt? When Joe hurt his back, the vet checked his responses by putting his front paws on the table and lifting his back legs slightly moving them back and the bun should pull it's legs in automatically.. not sure if this helps at all.. but when Joe hurt his back, the vertebrae was damaged.. like a slipped disc.
I noticed the day after a stormy night. He was walking rather than hopping - and when I put him on the rug in the house he would slightly drag one hind leg.. and he clambered over the bars at the foot of the dining chairs. He had the runs too! It seemed he had gone crazy with fright at the storm and damaged himself.

He had an xray to confirm and was let out with the chance he may recover. He was under strict carry case rest for 2 weeks. He wasn't urinating and I had to express his bladder - after a day of being home he was incontinent and if I picked him up the pressure of me gripping him gently to lift him made him wee. I was told his kidneys could pack up and there was only a chance he may recover. I had to clean his carry case several times a day.. he was soaked from sitting in wee.. but gradually with a course of anti inflammatory steriods he recovered. He was a wobble now... but tears around and binkys 50cm off the ground as well as any bun without a damaged back could do! I cringe sometimes as I don't want him to hurt himself again but I can't stop him playing!

I hope this maybe of some use... your bun has probably got a good while left yet - some vets seem to right animals off for reasons which can be treated / and for conditions where their lifestyle can be adjusted to suit their disability. I am sure your bun will lead a very happy life... maybe not as an able bodied bun would - but she will still have pleasure, affection, fun, excitement, exercise and a great owner with a safe warm home and a proper diet. :wave:

I also don't think you've got anything to lose seeking a 2nd opinion from another vet and perhaps further investigations? There are all sorts of things that could manifest with this loss of balance and power/tone in the limbs. Damage to the motor cortex in the brain, as well as damage along the spinal cord or a nerve root supplying a particular dermatome are all possible, it would depend on the actual clinical symptoms and definitely an Xray (or MRI if you happen to be near somewhere that has these facilities?). Obviously Xray is more accessible and cheaper:) Middle ear infection, E.C potentially, the list goes on....I hope you can find some answers and if not, atleast she'll have a happy safe life with you whatever you find out or decide to do. A short life of quality is better than a long miserable one:D Well done again for rescuing her.

Back