• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead breeding ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookie21

Young Bun
http://i41.tinypic.com/aad3ps.jpg
this is my bunny he is 7 weeks old and his name is Binky he is a lionhead rabbit and I was wondering(please don't be mean) if it would be bad idea to let him have one litter of kits with a female lionhead that I'm getting in like 2 weeks(when the female is 6 months and so is he) no matter what I'm getting him a friend but I'm debating on weather to get him neutered or not???? Help please??

I would get him neutered :wave: There are enough bunnies rescues unfortunately

If you did have a litter would you be able to keep them all?

He is just gorgeous!

Personally, I wouldnt breed them. What are your reasons for wanting to breed?
I would get him and her neautered and then they can be bonded. They will be both happier in the long run. :)

Definately get him neutered.

If you are to breed any rabbit, you must know 3 generations on both sides (parents, grandparents, great grandparents) Otherwise you don;t know what health problems you are breeding into the litter. Lionheads are notorious for dental problems, given bad breeding, it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

There are 35,000 rabbits dumped in rescue every year, why add to that number?
And before you say, "Well all the buns will find home and won;t end up in rescue" that is all well and good, but say there are 5 babies, that is 5 potential homes taken from rescue rabbits. :(

If you can not find homes for them, can you afford to vaccinate all of them 3 times a year, neuter all of them and buy suitable accomodation for all of them?

All things to take into account.
My opinion- Don't breed, enjoy them as pets, and let them enjoy each other as neutered friends :)

I would get him neutered :wave: There are enough bunnies rescues unfortunately

If you did have a litter would you be able to keep them all?

no i would not keep them all i have around 6 people that are begging me too breed him because around where i live their aren't that many of this breed and they love the mane lol =]

He is just gorgeous!

Personally, I wouldnt breed them. What are your reasons for wanting to breed?
I would get him and her neautered and then they can be bonded. They will be both happier in the long run. :)

My reasons to breed are just because i love that whole experance its just wonderful i have done it once before and it was great and i loved every moment of it =] thats all not for money or anything just because i LOVE it:love::love::love:

Definately get him neutered.

If you are to breed any rabbit, you must know 3 generations on both sides (parents, grandparents, great grandparents) Otherwise you don;t know what health problems you are breeding into the litter. Lionheads are notorious for dental problems, given bad breeding, it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

There are 35,000 rabbits dumped in rescue every year, why add to that number?
And before you say, "Well all the buns will find home and won;t end up in rescue" that is all well and good, but say there are 5 babies, that is 5 potential homes taken from rescue rabbits. :(

If you can not find homes for them, can you afford to vaccinate all of them 3 times a year, neuter all of them and buy suitable accomodation for all of them?

All things to take into account.
My opinion- Don't breed, enjoy them as pets, and let them enjoy each other as neutered friends :)

I know 2 gens behind him and their aren't any problems and the female im getting i hope that i know further back

No don't breed from him

Instead ask your friends who want lionheads to go to a rescue..they are very common in rescues:cry:..and help a rabbit that hasn't a home.

Or get them to look through this long list of lionheads and lionhead lops that are listed on Rabbit Rehome as needing new homes
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...=%&breed=7&breed=8&County=%&Submit=++Search++

Don't add to the rabbit population..don't breed just because you want to..think of the rabbits

No don't breed from him

Instead ask your friends who want lionheads to go to a rescue..they are very common in rescues:cry:..and help a rabbit that hasn't a home.

Or get them to look through this long list of lionheads and lionhead lops that are listed on Rabbit Rehome as needing new homes
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...=%&breed=7&breed=8&County=%&Submit=++Search++

Don't add to the rabbit population..don't breed just because you want to..think of the rabbits

I have decided and what i decided is this.................. To get him neutered and instead of getting the rabbit from a pet shop i will go to some rabbit rescue and get him a spayed female friend in a couple weeks who thinks this is ok?

That is a good decision:D
but in an earlier post you said you would know further back in generations for the female you would get...yet here you say "instead of going to a pet shop"..a pet shop would not know the genetic background??

Keep us all posted and look forward to pics of your rescue bun
If we know what area you are in we could suggest some rescues near you:D

That is a good decision:D
but in an earlier post you said you would know further back in generations for the female you would get...yet here you say "instead of going to a pet shop"..a pet shop would not know the genetic background??

Keep us all posted and look forward to pics of your rescue bun
If we know what area you are in we could suggest some rescues near you:D

REALLY i thought that they did???? One of the rabbits i got had some kind of papers that came with it?? it was a holland lop named buttons thats weird??? yeah well Im going to look at this rescue down the roads website and see who i like?? and i will put pics up when i need to decide lol

Pet shop rabbits very rarely have pedigrees but it does happen from time to time.
Still I'd be weary about breeding from pet shop rabbits, any breeder who sends their rabbits to pet shop usually has a reason for this, they sometimes sends the "bad" kits to pet shops. Normally they only send non-show-able kits though, so it could be as minor as having the "wrong" color.

Also even if they have a pedigree doesn't mean its perfect.
For all you know the relatives could have plenty of health problems which aren't even mentioned in the pedigree.

I have decided and what i decided is this.................. To get him neutered and instead of getting the rabbit from a pet shop i will go to some rabbit rescue and get him a spayed female friend in a couple weeks who thinks this is ok?

Good decision! :thumb:

The rabbit rescues are usually awesome so they'll be able to help find a bunny that your lionhead loves and give all kind of uber advice about care. Lionhead's aren't easy but oh so cute...

Emma

Good decision! :thumb:

The rabbit rescues are usually awesome so they'll be able to help find a bunny that your lionhead loves and give all kind of uber advice about care. Lionhead's aren't easy but oh so cute...

Emma

I think you've made a lovely decision.

Depending on how well Binkie travels, it may be worth asking if the rescue offers a preliminary introduction to start the bonding, so you can both choose his partner.

VERY wise and unselfish decision :thumb:

Good choice. You'd be surprised how, once the babies are born and ready for new homes, all those people who wanted one will have changed their minds.

I'm sure once he's neutered and had 2-4 weeks to recover fully, you will find a gorgeous spayed girlfriend in rescue to keep him company. When I went to see Dulcie in my local rescue, you should have seen the other gorgeous bunnies - everything from lionheads, lion lops, dwarf lops and even a pair of English lops. All beautiful bunnies, usually given up when their owners children got bored. I dreamed of a black or a broken tri dwarf lop, but would have been happy with any bunny as long as she got on with Frank. I'm sure you'll find just the right companion for him.

I said i was going to a rescue(which i was and was looking up rabbits and everything) but one of my friends dad(no longer lives with him) has rabbits and i asked to see them(I'm such a rabbit lover) and they are STACKED in a barn atleast 150 cages and mother rabbits with babies on just wire and they look so sad idk what to do i called some people on them so they are going to go look at them(and i later found out that some other people have called on them but no one has came to check out the situation and that was MONTHS ago) but should i continue to look at shelters or help a HELP:(:(:(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back