• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this sore hocks? Update Piccies

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Just been cleaning Snowdrops bum as she has had a bit of diahorreoa (saw vet who said to do hay only for a few days to see if it clears up) and found a little circular sore on the heel of both feet. Could these be sore hocks? I feel bad for not noticing before, they look quite red and sore.

What sort of surfaces are bad for sore hocks? Is there anything I can do to help her? I will make an appointment for the vet after work tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just been cleaning Snowdrops bum as she has had a bit of diahorreoa (saw vet who said to do hay only for a few days to see if it clears up) and found a little circular sore on the heel of both feet. Could these be sore hocks? I feel bad for not noticing before, they look quite red and sore.

What sort of surfaces are bad for sore hocks? Is there anything I can do to help her? I will make an appointment for the vet after work tomorrow.

Put her a bit of sudocrem on if you have any :) Lottie gets tiny red patches on her hocks as theyre on concrete, i should think its because Snowdrop is on carpet - carpet isnt good for sore hocks. Sudocrem will help, it will reduce the redness. I dont think the vets will be able to do anything unless theyre infected :?

Hope everything will be ok :) xXx

She isnt on carpet very often. They have an NIC that is lino flooring and fleece blankets. When free ranging they have access to the dining room and kitchen which are tiled and then the stairs and hall which are carpet but she very really goes up there.

I dont have any sudocrem in but will get some in tomorrow. They do look quite sore so will nip her to the vets for a check up tomorrow anyways. She went yesterday for her diarrhoea and the vet didnt seem concerned and gave her her myxi vaccine but she still has a little bit of it today so I think she needs another check up.

I noticed Teddy's look like this today, even the whole part of his foot looks red despite the fact he has plenty of fur covering them. It's important to keep their nails short so they aren't putting extra pressure on their hocks. I'm unsure about putting cream on at this point as I read that can make it worse due to softening the skin.... :?

Maybe theres another reason behind it then so its worth getting it checked out. Bless her :( Im suprised the vet gave the jab while she has a poorly tummy. She seems to be in the wars - vaseline would help the sore hocks too :)

Maybe theres another reason behind it then so its worth getting it checked out. Bless her :( Im suprised the vet gave the jab while she has a poorly tummy. She seems to be in the wars - vaseline would help the sore hocks too :)

They vet had a feel of her tummy and said he could feel lots of normal poos and so would give the vaccine. It was only a little bit that she had after eating some carrot tops. It had cleared up untill tonight when she has had a bit more which I think may be because she pinched a bit of Strawberrys carrot. She is back on hay and a few pellets so hopefully tomorrow it will have cleared up again.

She does seem to be quite a sickly bunny- her poos have been funny ever since we got her but my vet is reluctant to do a GA and do xrays/ultrasounds when she is fine in herself especially since they lost Graham by doing a similar thing.

Sounds like the start of sore hocks. Wesley used to get them. He was on carpet but I have covered this with a fleece blanket and they have cleared up. I think concrete isn't good for sore hocks either.

Am I being really stupid- Are bunnies meant to have these red circles at the very base of their heels? I checked Strawberry this morning and when I moved back all of his fur (and he has alot) I found that he has them as well on both feet. They are not quite as red as Snowdrops but definately the same thing.

Here are some pictures of what Snowdrops look like.

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg

Alot of bunnies have a small round patch of hard skin on their feet..but those do look sore:(

What do you use on the floor of their living space as she will need lots of soft bedding such as deep hay.
You will need to keep her feet clean and apply a little Sudocrem for a few days.
If left they can get infected and that is not good.
Will keep fingers crossed they improve

She is inside so is on lino and fleece blankets. I will keep her off the carpet for a while to see if they improve and only let her free range on the wooden floors. She isnt in any discomfort and quite happily let me touch them this morning. I will start putting sudocrem on them.

Do you think its worth a vets visit?

I don't think lino would be an ideal floor covering for sore hocks either.

the reason they get sore hocks is because rabbit feet are designed for grass so their claws can sink in and relieve the pressure on the hock. Any hard surface stops the claws from sinking in and pushes the foot backwards onto the hock resulting in pressure sores. This is why grass runs and thick hay are the ideal way to keep bunnies with sore hocks.

I would cover all the floor in thick layers of blankets so it is soft enough for the front of her feet to sink in and relieve pressure :) It is also important to keep her nails really short.

What's her litter training like? I've found the main cause of sore hocks in indoor buns to be lack of litter training.

As far as flooring goes...I've found the foam tiles to be good.

Her litter training isnt great. She will usually only wee in her litter tray but will poo anywhere and everywhere!

I did have them on foam tiles but Snowdrop eats them so had to remove them. I will have to start using blankets but its going to be a real pain as she wee's all over anything soft!

The hard bits are fine but the red bits aren't. Rambi has sore-hock tendencies and we were advised to use baby matresses and fleeces. They work an absolute treat! Rambi hasn't had sore hocks since his first flare-up and the vet is pleased with the development of his 'hard bits' (like the patches on dog's paws). He advised against using sudocreme or vaseline in my instance because the hard bit is protecting him. The fur has really grown too. :D

A quick question though - the fur around the bum looks very yellow with some matting. Are you sure Snowdrop is using the litter tray properly? It might be making things worse if Snowdrop is sitting in wetness so if the litter tray is being used maybe something more absorbant might be an idea?

Emma

hey!

all bunnies have the little bald patches, so dont worry about that, but those do look like sore hocks especially the one on the left hand side. This is how peanuts started, now dont beat yourself up about whats good or bad flooring because sometimes you can do everything right and they still get them.

Like my boy, Peanut. He was litter trained, cleaned out every day, always went on the grass and had lots of hay, but he still got a sore hock.

What i found really affective was a mixture of sudocream and aloe vera rubbed on everyday. If that fails you could pop along to the vets (will need a consult) and get some 'Fudicerm' creme, as this helped when they got worse.

Keep a very close eye on it, because peanuts got bad very quickly, it got infected and it turned into an abcess but we found and caught it very quickly.

Im sure its not that bad but just wanted to tell of our experience as it may help x

The hard bits are fine but the red bits aren't. Rambi has sore-hock tendencies and we were advised to use baby matresses and fleeces. They work an absolute treat! Rambi hasn't had sore hocks since his first flare-up and the vet is pleased with the development of his 'hard bits' (like the patches on dog's paws). He advised against using sudocreme or vaseline in my instance because the hard bit is protecting him. The fur has really grown too. :D

A quick question though - the fur around the bum looks very yellow with some matting. Are you sure Snowdrop is using the litter tray properly? It might be making things worse if Snowdrop is sitting in wetness so if the litter tray is being used maybe something more absorbant might be an idea?

Emma

As I said in my first post she is being treated for diahorreoa at the minute and so her fur is looking yellowy around her bum. She also isnt great at litter training but doesnt sit in it and has always had slightly yellow fur round her back end since we had her.

hey!

all bunnies have the little bald patches, so dont worry about that, but those do look like sore hocks especially the one on the left hand side. This is how peanuts started, now dont beat yourself up about whats good or bad flooring because sometimes you can do everything right and they still get them.

Like my boy, Peanut. He was litter trained, cleaned out every day, always went on the grass and had lots of hay, but he still got a sore hock.

What i found really affective was a mixture of sudocream and aloe vera rubbed on everyday. If that fails you could pop along to the vets (will need a consult) and get some 'Fudicerm' creme, as this helped when they got worse.

Keep a very close eye on it, because peanuts got bad very quickly, it got infected and it turned into an abcess but we found and caught it very quickly.

Im sure its not that bad but just wanted to tell of our experience as it may help x

Thanks SJ. I am going to see how she is when I get her home from work and take her into the vets tonight if needed. I wil get some sudocrem and aloe vera to start treating her. She definately isnt in any discomfort at the minute.

Peanut wasnt actually in pain at all really until it turned into an abcess, he never even used to flinch when you touched it, which was good because he had it for so long.

We were told to use old duvets etc etc to put in the floor of the hutch and then put hay on top, because peanut will aslso wee on anything soft, so put hay on top and its even better and they dont realise so wont wee on it.

Vet bed is nice a spongey but put a sheet over it if you use that so it doesnt rub on the feet. What do you use for bedding? We use shavings which is okay for all the others but we switched to shredded paper mixed with carefresh for him and that helped loads. Its not damaging to the feet but if its sore it doesnt help!

xxx

Hope you get sorted.

Teddy's look very similar to that, so now i'm worried. He's a free range house bun and I have carpets, not sure what i'm going to do now as Phoebe will not be happy at all if I have to restrict their living area :(

As I said in my first post she is being treated for diahorreoa at the minute and so her fur is looking yellowy around her bum. She also isnt great at litter training but doesnt sit in it and has always had slightly yellow fur round her back end since we had her.

sorry! I forgot that bit of the post :oops:

Back