• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disinfectant in Hutches?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Do you use disinfectant?
I was on a breeder's site a few days ago, and he said he didn't use disinfectant so the rabbits can build up their immune system.

I personally think they're right. I use disinfectant sometimes, but only like once every 2 months. It's like those cotton wool children, cotton wool bunnies :lol:

I use dinsinfectant every time i clean the hutch :) I also use it daily for the litter trays

I use vinegar instead of disinfectant on all the litter trays etc - paranoid about attracting flies I'm afraid :?

It depends how much/what sort of disinfectant you use.

I use vinegar in the litter-tray and when they have stray pees in the hutch (not very often). Once every 2-4 weeks I also give the litter tray and hutch a good disinfect with Beaphar hutch disinfectant. Flies are evil and I want as little encouragement as possible! I do get the 'not overdoing it idea' but you shouldn't be able to smell wee after you have cleaned something and if you see a flying thing show an interest even after it has been cleaned you might be in trouble.

Emma

I use a low-level spray for litter trays daily. Floor/hutches gets disinfected monthly. I've switched to some high-level disinfectant at the min after my myxi scare

I use Virkon S. I agree that being OTT with clinical cleanliness would do the buns no good - but at the same time like others have said, you have to make sure there are no bad odours to attract pests. Plus the ammonia build up can cause respiratory problems in poorly ventilated housing.

We use the p@h spray cleaner on our viynl floors, wash the food bowls with washing up liquid as we do with our own food bowls hehe and the water bottles are just rinsed off with water. I have never noticed our buns area smelling yet, even in the litter trays :D and so far rarely disinfect the trays when i clean them out, maybe once a month. The floor gets disinfected 1/2 times a week whenever they have their big clean days (i.e. before bin day :lol:).

Back