• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bun isnt eating :(- U/D Back from vets

ribbons

Mama Doe
Hi folks:wave:

My little Chico is off his food & not very active, just lying down...

I reckon it could be his teeth as he his wet at one side of his mouth, wee soul.

He had teeth problems before but I always ensure they have plenty of hay.

Do you think this could be the issue if wet at one side?

Last edited:
It does sound like his teeth. He will need to see a vet asap if he has stopped eating before he guts slow down too much.

It does sound like his teeth. He will need to see a vet asap if he has stopped eating before he guts slow down too much.

Yeah will get him there first thing in morning.

Only noticed he wasnt eating today but he was a little quiet yesterday so been keeping a close eye on him. He does have a slight wetness at one side, very slight but def worth a look.

Checked his litter tray & there are no poos either

When did he last eat?

I really would get him to a vet tonight if he hasnt eaten or pooed in a while. Bunnys can go downhill really quickly and he needs to get his guts going again before they shut down completely.

When did he last eat?

I really would get him to a vet tonight if he hasnt eaten or pooed in a while. Bunnys can go downhill really quickly and he needs to get his guts going again before they shut down completely.

Yeah i agree if hes not eating and no poo,his guts may have started to shut down already

When did he last eat?

Well last time I know he def ate would have been yesterday afternoon, as his dish of food had been eaten.

He pooed last night but cant see anything today.

I phoned my vets but it isnt the rabbit savvy vet on tonight who I usually see, so is there anything I can do tonight & see her first thing in the morning??

Have you any metacam or maxalon - try syringing cool boiled water, or mashed pellets, it's really important to get the bunny to the vet tonight, don't want to frighten you but tomorrow may be too late

Well last time I know he def ate would have been yesterday afternoon, as his dish of food had been eaten.

He pooed last night but cant see anything today.

I phoned my vets but it isnt the rabbit savvy vet on tonight who I usually see, so is there anything I can do tonight & see her first thing in the morning??

Did you not check that he ate this morning? He needs to see a vet tonight- he must be feeling very poorly to have not eaten in over 24 hours and his guts will be shutting down. He will need a pain killer and some metaclop (provided there is no blockage) at least tonight then if its his teeth you will probably have to take him back in the morning.

Have you tried temping him with his favorite foods? If mine dont eat at there meal time i take them the vets within hours,not to eat for 24 hours or poo is quite serious

Did you not check that he ate this morning? He needs to see a vet tonight- he must be feeling very poorly to have not eaten in over 24 hours and his guts will be shutting down. He will need a pain killer and some metaclop (provided there is no blockage) at least tonight then if its his teeth you will probably have to take him back in the morning.

I was away for treatment first thing this morning so looked in on him before I went & he had perked up, eaten a little veg but didnt see any change in his dry mix.

I will phone just now & arrange to see someone tonight.

Have you any metacam or maxalon - try syringing cool boiled water, or mashed pellets, it's really important to get the bunny to the vet tonight, don't want to frighten you but tomorrow may be too late

No, I dont have any metacam left... Should I try syringing cooled boiled water just now or best to go straight to vets?

Have you tried temping him with his favorite foods? If mine dont eat at there meal time i take them the vets within hours,not to eat for 24 hours or poo is quite serious

Me too. I give mine their pellets while I am straightning my hair in a morning before work so I can check they both eat it. If either didnt tuck in I would be ringing work to say im late and going straight to vets when they open.

As soon as im home they get a fenugreek crunchie each to check they are still eating and then they get pellets again before bed and again I watch them eat them.

I think I might be a little paraniod!!!

The advice is usually not to syringe anything untill you have seen a vet incase of a blockage.

Ok, thats fine, thanks for your advice.

I have phoned the vets again & awaiting a call back so I can take him down.

Will keep you updated.:)

hope he is ok,, i`m new to buns and they seem quite complicated compared to guinea pigs, how come they have so many problems, is it bad breeding.??

As I say he had eaten veg but not dry mix... Yesterday he was eating it was more last night I noticed he was a little quiet. But had pooed.

Ok, thats fine, thanks for your advice.

I have phoned the vets again & awaiting a call back so I can take him down.

Will keep you updated.:)

Lots of vibes for him- hope the vet can make him more comfortable and he will be feeling better soon.

Me too. I give mine their pellets while I am straightning my hair in a morning before work so I can check they both eat it. If either didnt tuck in I would be ringing work to say im late and going straight to vets when they open.

As soon as im home they get a fenugreek crunchie each to check they are still eating and then they get pellets again before bed and again I watch them eat them.

I think I might be a little paraniod!!!

Mine get there veggies am and pm i always stay with them to make sure they eat and always check litter trays for poo at the same time:oops: Im obsessed :lol:

Back