• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies scuffled...what now?

Eeeek!!

I've had Peppa and Miss. Flopsy for just under three weeks and they are coming upto 12 weeks old and sisters. Today in their run Peppa started mounting Miss.Flopsy, I thought it might be a dominance thing. But then she started doing it more and Miss. Flopsy ran off, Peppa followed and they had a bit of a scrap. Fur came out before I got to separate them, I took Peppa out of the pen and put her in the indoor cage and went to see Miss. Flopsy to give her a cuddle, she had the bit of fur pulled out.

We sat outside the cage for about 5 mins until I plucked up the courage to open the door and let them meet. They nuzzled up and laid down together and started grooming each other. Is this a good sign?

I know they are coming up to their hormonal time, but it's still 3 months till I can get them spayed. Do I keep them separated or because they are ok again try to keep stopping if Peppa mounts again?

They look a bit shocked, sitting in their cage..:(

Sorry but it sounds like they need separating untill they are spayed. Fighting bunnies can cause some serious damage.

Some vets will neuter earlier than others- I think about 16 weeks is the earliest most will do.

your buns are absolutly stunning by the way. yeah i learnt the hard way when i tried bonding ted an petal (ted being a girl) and petal ripped a big bit of skin off ted's inner leg. Cost me £119 to stitch up :( i can't put them together ever again. so yeah my advice getting them speyed before they do serious harm to each other. hope it works out for you hun. make sure you ask plenty of question, loads of experienced people on here. ;)

Thanks for the advice :) Poor Ted and Petal, do you let them out at separate times?

Just phoned the vets (one kindly recommended by Tinsel - thank you!) to ask about spaying and they said they do them at 3 or 4 months, so hoping that they say 3 months (which they are), thanks Snowberry for the nudge to call vets to check :D

When they get spayed can they be rebonded them afterwards? Is it easier to rebond after being separated and spayed, than if they have a big to-do and really hurt each other and like Ted 'n' Petal said, poss not to be put together again.

Because they were grooming before we went to bed last night we kept them together, and they have been ok today (I slept downstairs to listen out for any noises!) so havent separated them yet. But as you say, all it takes is one large scuffle and thats it.

Would it be ok to just partition them off and have one next to the cage, so they are just separated through cage bars, I was hoping they could still lie next to each other and sniff each other.

Thanks again for the advice..everybody is very helpful :D

Yeah i let my girl's out at seperate times, if your girls manage to stay together you can get them speyed at the same time that way you won't have seperate them.
Would it be ok to just partition them off and have one next to the cage, so they are just separated through cage bars, I was hoping they could still lie next to each other and sniff each other.

this would be an excellent idea if your still worried about them. My case is a very rare case petal seems very aggresvie over territory as she attacked ralph too. I really hope it works out for you hun. theres loads more experienced people on here (as you can see i haven't had much success :oops:)

Best of luck.

Back