• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Septrin dosage - Jane are you around please?

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Lionel is now on septrin for his breathing as baytril had no effect. Giving him his meds tonight and it had 1.7ml per day on the bottle when i actually syringed this out and tried to give it to him i am now thinking thats an awful lot :shock: he weighs 768g now, does that sound the right dose?

Even though it was banana flavour i had to bunny burrito him (which i have never done before) to get it into his mouth and it took 10 mins :shock:

Last edited:
Thats an awful lot! I will just check the bottle I have.

ETA- my vet prescribed 0.2ml twice daily.

Last edited:
OMG :shock::shock: i hope he has not overdosed now :shock:

I wouldnt think an overdose of antibiotic would be too dangerous but I think I would call your vet tonight and check the dosage. Its a childrens med so they shouldnt need alot of it really.

It looks like I was given a very small dosage when I used it last. Strawberry was alot smaller when I had it and it was as a precaution measure, as he had a bite, and not to fight infection so I was probably told a dosage way lower than one that would be needed to fight infection.

Yes that seems pretty normal - looking at that other link, around 50mg/kg seems to be the top end of the normal dose range.

If there is 24mg of the active ingredient in 1ml of septrin, then that makes 24*1.7=40.8mg.

If your bun weighs around 800g then that is about 50mg/kg so at the higher dose end but not way off the mark.

I've used septrin before with Santa and thought that it seems an awful lot, but it's a lot less concentrated than some others, so you do use a lot more than seems 'normal' :)

Would you say 1.7ml per day is about right Jane :)

Yes that seems pretty normal - looking at that other link, around 50mg/kg seems to be the top end of the normal dose range.

If there is 24mg of the active ingredient in 1ml of septrin, then that makes 24*1.7=40.8mg.

If your bun weighs around 800g then that is about 50mg/kg so at the higher dose end but not way off the mark.

I've used septrin before with Santa and thought that it seems an awful lot, but it's a lot less concentrated than some others, so you do use a lot more than seems 'normal' :)

^^^^^^^^^^^ What Santa said !! :D

Back