• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hey! New user needing help with ill rabbit?

Hi!:wave:

My 2 year old rabbit Smudge is not eating his mixed food at all and will not eat his little popcorn stick that is usually gone in ten minutes! He has started to lose weight and I asked my dad if he can go to the vets, but problem is he only gets paid his wages on Thursday so he will only be able to take him after then. :cry: He has perked up a bit in the last few days because I have been persistant with him... I hold food in front of him so he eventually does take it from me. Is there anything I can give him while I wait for my dad to get enough money? He eats dandelion leaves and lettuce but that is it. I tried giving his tummy a massage because I heard that helps stimulate a lazy gut. I felt something happen in there, but today he still is not eating. :(

He is a short haired english spot cross bunny, and usually he has a healthy appetite. Until now he has been a good weight, not overweight and not underweight, just perfect! He was also quite active.

I noticed he likes lying at a certain place in his hutch just above his ramp going down onto the bottom level so I gave him a blanket to keep him comfy.

Is it worth trying to syringe feed him some mushed up food? I have syringe fed a cat before when I was on work experience at a vet, but never a rabbit!! Is this a good idea?

I am really worried in case my dad decides not to take him to the vets...... we are going away this friday and I am worried in case he still isn't eating and whoever looks after him doesn't bother keeping a close eye on him!!

Hello

Your Rabbit needs to see a Vet today. It sounds as though he is in pain. He may possibly have Dental problems which means he cant eat hard food.
If he does not receive prompt Veterinary treatment then he will deteriorate and I am sorry to say that he may not recover :cry:

Please ask your parents to try to get your Rabbit Veterinary care today.
You can call the RSPCA for advice as to how to go about doing this if your parents really have no money at all to pay for treatment.

The RSPCA contact details are on here, just call the national helpline and select the relevent options given by the automated response.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/

In the meantime try to keep offering your Rabbit soft food to try to keep his guts working.

To add to Jane’s post, I don’t want to scare you but rabbits go downhill very quickly. Assuming he makes it to Thursday for an appointment, I doubt very much he will be better in time for you to go away on Friday :cry: I really would emphesise on him going today for the best possible chances of him recovering.

Whether it’s dental problems or gut problems (the former can lead to the latter very easily) I would continue trying to tempt him with any food you can but personally I would not try syringe or force feeding until a vet can rule out a blockage.

Please do try everything you can to get him seen today :(

Good luck with him. I agree with the other posters and would just like to add it is an actual offence to not get your animal vet treatment when they require it which could result in your parents getting prosecuted. Not meaning to sound nasty or scare you just trying to help you get your parents to see how serious this could be.

Good luck at the vets and hope Smudge makes a full recovery :wave:

Back