• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding how to do it properly? and what type of bun do i put with mine?

debrakay

New Kit
hey loads of people are giving me tips and how to's but what is the best way to bond two rabbits i have been told in the bath tub (empty of course), on the table, or any where with a small layer of talc on the floor, in a run, or two cages next to each other

can any one tell me how they have done it and has it worked?

plus how do i choose a bun to pair with blue?(my female lionhead) she is easy going with me but i dont know how to tell if she is dominant. I think i want a baby or a young rescue, but is it better to bond with an older rabbit? or does it not matter on age and personallity?

please any one let me know

Last edited:
Well both buns need to be neutered and hormones had time to settle post-op, that's the first thing.
Neutral territory is the MOST important thing of all. Bonding can be done gradually or quickly, it's up to you, slow bonding tends to be less risky, but depends how pushed you are for space and time. We did slow bonding, which involves keeping them side by side without introducing for a couple of weeks, so they can see and smell each other but not interact, separate exercise time etc. Then gradual introductions starting with just a few mins and building it up to a whole day over several weeks, but everyone has their own method, this worked for us.
The important thing to remember is that bonding is stressful emotionally and physically (on the immune system) so buns must be in good health and in my mind rushing things is too stressful. I personally wouldn't advise car rides or bathtubs, rabbit behaviourists believe putting buns in a stressful location whilst already under stress bonding is exposing them to too much stress and unnecessary. I'd go for a bonding pen/neutral room and take your time:)
I don't think age/breed really matter, it's all about temperament. Good luck:)

Well both buns need to be neutered and hormones had time to settle post-op, that's the first thing.
Neutral territory is the MOST important thing of all. Bonding can be done gradually or quickly, it's up to you

hey thanks for the advice what about a neutered female and baby/young about 8 week old as long as i get him done when he realises he has "extra bits":oops:
whould this work?

Back