• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with teeth question

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
"Hi, I have just lost my precious little boy named Yoshi who was a mini lop he was aged just two. He had his teeth removed after many burring sessions when he was approx age one. In the last two - three months he had a jaw abscess which was removed with surgery and he seemed to bounce back even rewarded me with a binky. Unfortunately it came back with a vengeance and even a trip to Langford couldnt save him and I had to make the most difficult decision to let him & Biski go.. I still miss them both dearly :-(
My question is if I get another bunny from the same mother will they have dental problems too or was Yoshi just unlucky (he wasn't a big hay eater which I know does not help) Which pairing would be better a brother/brother, sister/sister or brother/sister? If I chose a brother/sister would I have to separate them when it came to be neutered? Sorry for all the questions but any advice would be really helpful and appreciated"

I'm still not sure yet what to do :-(

Unfortunately it sounds as though the Dental problems were congenital :cry:

I am affraid all future kits from the same line may well be similarly effected.
What a shame the Breeder is being so irresponsible and continuing to produce Rabbits who may suffer the same fate as yours :cry:

I would contact your local Rescue and see if you can offer a couple of Rabbits in need a forever home

Personally I would also get copies of all your Yoshi's clinical notes and send them to the Breeder. Maybe then they might take on board how much suffering their actions can potentially cause :cry:

I am very sorry for you losses :cry: :cry:

Thats a shame as I wanted to keep a connection to Yoshi and I thought by taking on his brother I might do, I know thats not the right reason but I just miss him so much. The owner said she hasnt had any teeth problems with any of her rabbits and Yoshi was just unlucky..

If (IF) in time I choose to take on another rabbit how will I know I won't be taking on any dental prone bunnies. As I don't know if I can take going through all that pain again

I am very sorry for your loss. Binky free Yoshi!

I didn't quite understand but was Biski Yoshi's sibling and did s/he have teeth problems too? It might well be hereditary then...

If you do decide to get another bunny pair, it would be better to rescue a pair than go to a breeder. Heartache comes with the territory of having pets I'm afraid, you just have to weight that up against the love they can give you and you them.

I hope you can remember the good times you shared with them.

Emma

Hi Huppie

No Biski was not a relative of Yoshi's, she was a neglected two year old mini dwarf lop I adopted. She went down to Langford's vet with us as she couldn't bare to be parted from Yoshi and when we were down there the vet checked her over too. He found that she was also suffering from dental problems as well as a range of many other complaints.

Way too much love given that's what makes it all the more painful

Sorry for your losses.

Personally I wouldn't take on more rabbits from this breeder given Yoshi's history. The majority of dental cases are down to bad diet or genetics. It sounds very much like Yoshi's problems were genetic.

If I were in your situation I would adopt rescue buns who very much deserve a second chance. They should have been health checked.

There is little you can do to predict health problems in rabbits, especially dental related issues as they are so common these days due to poor breeding. You could steer away from breeds that are more prone to dental issues... i.e lops, lionheads, nethies. I think it's a risk taking any bun on, but I'd rather accept the risks as opposed to not having rabbits at all!

Back