• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible broken or sprained leg

littlepaw

Young Bun
I'm not posting this for either of my boys, this is on behalf of my neighbor as she doesn't have the interwebz.

She has two female lionheads, about 10-11 weeks old. They're from another neighbour who accidentally had a litter of four, so they are defiantly from the same litter and according to the vet they are both defiantly female. I have also checked the sex and I agree, both look female.

They don't fight although Nugget is definatly more dominant than Imp.
Imp also has a habbit of jumping from great heights if she gets nervous (She has however calmed down unbelievably since the start of last week when they got them).

So the problem is this:
Mel (my neighbor) came home from work today and noticed Imp was limping rather badly. She brought her over and I had a look as best I could. There is a little bit of swelling but nothing too noticeable. There is also no blood or wound so it doesn't look like a bite.
Mel's partner Craig had been watching them all day and he said that they hadn't fought at all and Imp defiantly hadn't fallen or jumped from any height so we're not sure what's happened to her.

Imp did jump last night but only started limping this evening, could it have taken till now to be causing her pain?
We will be taking her to the vets first thing tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might of caused her sudden limp?
She's not off her food and she's letting us examine the leg without fuss, there's also no change in her behavior, she just seems to have started limping.

also, is there anything that we can do to make her more comfortable through the night?

Is it a front or back leg?
It could be any number of things. Fracture, strain, sprain, dislocation, foreign body, ruptured ligament....the list goes on.
She needs to see a vet for diagnosis and treatment, sooner rather than later. If she was mine, she would be going to a vet now. It would be awful if it was left until tomorrow and turned out to be a fracture.
Whatever the cause, if there is swelling or she is limping it will be painful, so she will need an anti-inflammatory.
Let us know how she gets on xx

Hmmmmmmmmm well I have not heard a a post Myxo Vac limp but there is DEFINATELY a post CYLAP VHD Vac limp.
I guess its not beyond the realms of possibility for it to occur with the Myxi Vac but it seems much less likely :?

If she really cant be taken to a Vet this evening I would definately keep her confined overnight to prevent her doing any more damage to the limb.

If it was my baby I'd take her up to the emergency vet in walkden, but they don't have a car and my car has a flat and I can't get a spare till tomorrow :(
She's in the hutch though and we've removed anything that she could jump on or off.

Back