• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I know the line is that we should all check our bunnies bottoms regularly, but....

Beau is an indoor rabbit, we never open the windows enough for flies to get in, and there are three doors between our front door and the external door, so there are never flies in the flat. Plus Beau has never had even the slightest squidgy poo the whole time I've had him.

He hates being picked up, and recently he's got even worse cos we've had to keep medicating him for the wound on his back. He's just starting to like me again, and yesterday let me pick him up without the slightest struggle. I really don't want to put this progress back by upsetting him by checking his bum every day unless it's absolutely necessary. In this case, do you think it's necessary?

Last edited:
I give mine a check once a week by picking them up but get on the floor every day and have a look while they are hopping around as you can see quite a bit then. If I see any suspicious poos I will check then too but as long as your bun has a good diet and his poos are good then I think the risk is minimal but still a good idea to check as it is so easy but a nasty thing to have to sort it if they do get it.

I still think it is necessary. You never know a fly might get in somehow. I've never had a fly in my room where the buns are but one got in the other day and I had a right panic getting it out and checking bums. I'd personally rather be better safe than sorry.

I still think it is necessary. You never know a fly might get in somehow. I've never had a fly in my room where the buns are but one got in the other day and I had a right panic getting it out and checking bums. I'd personally rather be better safe than sorry.

Agree completely. Death from flystrike is the only 'condition' affecting rabbits that I can think of, that's 100% preventable.

I can usually smell if Bramble has a sticky bum! Definately worth checking though and keeping the hutch nice and clean.

Bramble has only had a sticky bum once, and that's because he sat in a rather nasty poo. He soon sorted his bum out himself though.

Back