• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice-Please:D

Piptickle

Warren Scout
Sorry I've not been very active lately, and am a fairly new member so most of you won't know me but I was hoping for some friendly advice!
I have a neutered pair of buns only recently bonded (3 monthsish) and was thinking of adding another neutered rescue bun. I have a playhouse with a 4'x8' run which they have 24/7 access to and I'm going to attach a 4' two story hutch to the other end (this will be for a shelter only and will never be closed). I'm just wondering-I have a buck and a doe, they get on great and I've never had any fighting not even on day one of bonding. Freya is definately the boss but shes pretty laid back and Roary's a sweetheart-so what do I look for? Another boy or another girl? Or does'nt it matter?

Really? I did'nt think that would be a problem:( With Roary and Freya I introduced them straight away in a cage in the house and supervised them constantly for a few days to be sure all was well-and it was, no probs at all. They have been seperated since for 24 hours when Rory had to visit the vets for a minor surgery but they were fine when I reintroduced them-no squabbling at all. Maybe if I were to try a third it would be best to spilt the run and let them get to know each other throught the wire first? Then have several short, supervised playdates together each day? What do you all think?

I've tried the slow method and it didn't really work for me. I think you are better off sending them away to be bonded on neutral territory or having a week off and doing it on a enclosure and leaving them all together until they are properly bonded. I only say about the bond may break as I have two that were bonded and are now separate after a broken bond.

Mmmm? I need to think about it for a while longer methinks:? I would hate to break their bond-I just yearn for a lop:roll: I don't have the space in my garden for another set up like the one I have so another already bonded pair kept seperatly is out of the question-I would'nt want them to have less space then Freya and Roary either! I think maybe we should just move house to one with a bigger garden;)

Thanks very much for the advice Hurricanhoney

Mmmm? I need to think about it for a while longer methinks:? I would hate to break their bond-I just yearn for a lop:roll: I don't have the space in my garden for another set up like the one I have so another already bonded pair kept seperatly is out of the question-I would'nt want them to have less space then Freya and Roary either! I think maybe we should just move house to one with a bigger garden;)

Don't let me put you off because it could potentially work but I just wanted you to be prepared if things didn't work out. I know some people have put two bonded pairs together and that has worked out. I think Lottielouise did that.

I added an older girl to my bonded male/female pair (the original female being the dominant 1) and it is fine. There is a little nipping occasionally when the other female gets a bit close or there is a mad dash for food but that's about it.

My only concern would be the amount of space they have. My 3 have a 6ft x 3ft shed with night time access to an 8ft x 4ft run but are free range all day. I wouldn't dream of making them stay in a run smaller than 10ft x10ft 24/7 as they look completely miserable until I let them out in the morning.

Oh they do get time out of the run during the day, their set up is in a seperated part of the garden 15'x15' but there is no roof on this area so I won't leave them in it all day as I can't be there all the time to keep an eye on things! I can't put a roof on this area as this is also where my youngest two children play (not at the same time as the buns of course!) My garden (or yard as I should call it) is not huge and I have two large sheds in it not to mention we have three dogs! Hence the seperated part of the "garden"! We have been looking to move for over two years but it never quite happens, although my garden (and house for that matter) is too small-the location and neighbours are fab! So I'm nervous to make that move, worrying that I'll regret it! Arghhh! There are no big houses/gardens in this area so staying around here is'nt an option! And now I've gone totally off track!!! I'm gonna shut up now!:roll:

Oh they do get time out of the run during the day, their set up is in a seperated part of the garden 15'x15' but there is no roof on this area

Phew! That's ok then. I find with mine that they definitely need some space from each other even if for a lot of the time they are only a few inches away from each other in the area that is the run despite it being completely open.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm sure other people will offer more advice about what sorts of bondings work best. I just took my doe and hoped for the best as no one wanted her because she was "too old" at 6.5.

Back