• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scared/Paranoid Bun

neilp83

Young Bun
Hi, I am currently having problems with a one year old mini-lop doe that I have (or rather she is having problems with me!), and was wondering if anyone might know anything about it.

She currently seems (and definately looks) to be petrified of everything. She runs away when she see's me and stamps around in another room. She puts up a real struggle when picking her up (I have scratches to prove!). When you do get her picked up she is breathing so hard that I'm worried about her. She won't take any new food, or toys. She will very tentatively take a treat but not right away. The list goes on...

By the way she looks, you would think that we are constantly trying to murder her!!!!!

She seems unhappy. The only thing she seems to do is sit in her house and chew it to pieces, and sleep on the rug in the sitting room.

Her Buck friend is fine, he will be picked up, stroked etc without any problems.

Not sure what is going on with her, but she's driving me up the wall.

Thanks,
Neil

PS She was by far the friendlier of the two when she was small.

has she been neuted?
try stroking whilst feeding,i give sandy a pellet in return for a stroke,she doesnt like it but wants the food,lol
if bunny doesnt like been picked up then dont keep doing it,a lot of buns detest being picked up,coco hates it,so we never do it,

all trial and error if she seems well in herself then,little and oftern with handling,id say,she may come round,

good luck:wave:

She has been spayed. She was hand fed every meal when we first got her too.

I like to pick them both up daily to check for sticky bum's. I have read that this is a good idea to stop Fly Strike.

She has been spayed. She was hand fed every meal when we first got her too.

I like to pick them both up daily to check for sticky bum's. I have read that this is a good idea to stop Fly Strike.

Are you handling her correctly? If a bun has a bad experience being held, they will be scared in future. And they don't like it anyway as they are prey animals.

Some of my buns definitely benefit from not being picked up daily. They get attention daily, but don't start to think that every time I'm near them, I will be swooping them up into the air. If you can build up her trust, so she thinks she will get treats & strokes & not just picked up it might help.:D

Back