• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you administer Metacam?

Michelle666

Mama Doe
Im wondering what the best way to administer metacam to my bun. At the mo it takes me and OH to hold her down and get the syringe in her mouth. I just think its being mean doing that, and I don't want her hating me! I can't mix it in with food or drink as she's with her sister.

Just wondered if anyone had any good ideas?

I usually take a stressy bun into an unfamiliar room, like the bathroom when administering meds as they stay still. Some buns love metacam and will take it straight from the syringe! One of mine used to bite the syringe when she had taken it all as she wanted some more... she used to run over if she saw me with a syringe in my hand :lol:

I usually put it on something they like to eat and hand feed it, I had the cat metacam and the amount I had to give was so small it fitted on a little bit of fruit or spring greens and I fed it straight into their mouth!

I put Dylan's on food when he needed it for his paw. Didn't wanna stress him out and make him injure it more. After a while he started to love it and tried getting it straight out the bottle :lol::shock:

I'had to use only three drops of it after buns dental. I used watercress and offered her the opposite end to the medicine - in it went:)

If its a small amount try putting it on a nice big basil leaf and roll it up like a cigar and hand feed it.

Well the shreddies failed terribly... she knew what I was up to straight away... i have to say, Lou isn't stupid at all!!! Going to try another idea tonight!

Back