• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

huge amounts of fur

shannon321

Alpha Buck
bunny's been shedding her coat recently and we give her a brush most evenings, but this morning i came down and there must of been 2 big hand fulls of fur just sitting in the corner of the cage....it looked like something had been attacked in there?!?! :shock: i'm used to little bits of hair floating around but have never seen anything like that?
She's fine no bald patches or anything she's never had a molt like this before is it really normal?

It is moulting season, so could just be piles of moulted fur. But just as a check, has your lady bun been spayed, as she could be pulling out piles of fur to make a nest if not... (a phantom pregnancy.)

no, she's not been spayed yet but it is to be done very soon, for health reasons and so she can get a husbun.....i clean out her base everyday so it literally was between 12 last night and 7.30 this morning!

I've checked her over and given her a good groom and she's got no bald patches or thin parts.....when grooming she barely had any fur coming out...is it possibly to shed most of it in one night?!

Firstly what kind of buns is she?
Animals used to have 2 main moults a year 'winter and summer' but as our world weather changed this stopped happening and they now kind of constantly moult although you will notice it more when temperature rises or falls.

Some breeds such as rexes have a huge moult as well as there norm moults around the time of there birthdays. This is where ALL of there fur completely falls out in clumps and regrows a new coat completely.

Females also pull out there fur when the are pregnant or think they are so just check she isn't deliberatly doing this.

no, she's not been spayed yet but it is to be done very soon, for health reasons and so she can get a husbun.....i clean out her base everyday so it literally was between 12 last night and 7.30 this morning!

I've checked her over and given her a good groom and she's got no bald patches or thin parts.....when grooming she barely had any fur coming out...is it possibly to shed most of it in one night?!

If there is no fur coming out whilst brushing, it sounds more like she is nesting. This should stop when she has been spayed and her hormones settle. I would suggest leaving the big clump in the corner for a while, (as long as it isn't in the 'loo' bit and dirty) or if you clean it away, she will only pluck out more to replace it. Don't worry though, she won't come to any harm!
When is she booked in for the op? Bet you can't wait to start looking for a husbun for her :D

She's a dwarf lop i believe, came down this morning and theres no fur, im thinking she had a really thick coat on her belly but doesn't let us groom it and on top she had most of her summer coat and now her belly matches the rest.....
She's not booked in yet and i know the sooner the better, but moneys tight at the moment i have about four hundred in a savings account for emergency vets which is always being added too and i don't really want to dig into that to pay for it, but the latest i'm going to book her in for is augest.

And no i'm dreading finding a husbun for her! no where near me offers bonding services! i've bonded plenty of rats in my time but never rabbits and i'm more than a little scared!

Back