• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shocking statistics!!

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I went to Wood Green Open Day yesterday and there were some posters up about rabbits. It said over 30,000 rabbits are abandoned EVERY YEAR (I though there were over 30,000 in rescues in total!), 50% of bunnies are given up after 3 months :shock: and 70% are kept in unsuitable housing. I mean I had a vague idea about all these things, but to see figures put to it is awful :shock:

Yes, it is awful especially the conditions those are kept in too. Did you enjoy Wood Green anyway? I volunteer there as I liked it when I got my buns and just wanted to be part of it.

Yeah, it was lovely to see so many families there too! I met The Duchess and janice-arc and had a good chat with them about bonding.

There didn't seem to be as many bunnies there as there are on the website, do they just show the ones that aren't gonna get frightened by lots of visitors?

There are 2 sites, 1 at Godmanchester and 1 in Heydon plus a few buns out the back and on foster which is why the website appears to have lots. They only really have space for 8 pairs to be shown at a time (slighly different rules for mums and babies) in order to demonstrate how much space the buns require and I think they have some quite strict rules to stick to legally regarding space but not sure who has come up with the rules.

Homes are found quite quickly so every 1-2 weeks there is normally at least 1 new pair or single that I haven't seen before so if you didn't find what you were looking for this time (if you are looking for a new bun) then in a couple of weeks there should be loads of different ones.

As far as there being lots of people around yesterday was exceptional as there was an event but there are normally a fair few people around on weekends anyway, lots of people just see it as a place for a nice cheap day out as well as those who do come to rehome some animals.

Back