• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ahhhh!

Michelle666

Mama Doe
Lou managed to remove her bandage in one piece...looks like vet never put it on properly. Ive managed to wrap some bandage around her foot, and micropoore it, but im just wondering how long it will be before it comes off again.

Just wanted to know, how long do you think it will be until her foot is ok without bandage again? shes just dislocated her toe.

Ok, second bandage has now come off...the toe is still in place...just not sure whether I should just leave her. The more I try to do anything the more she kicks around and gets the ump.

Shes confined to a smaller space inside for the time being.

Not sure if i'll be any good as not really had this problem.
Is the bandage just for support? Or keeping toe straight?
I know my hamster broke his leg once and obv too small to bandage vet said just leave him he will be ok.
I would imagine bunny would be ok to just keep eye on him. If toe starts to bend in diff place then bandage up to keep straight. Could ring your vet just to check

Its her back foot. I think it was just for support, as the area around the toe was swollen, but thats gone down now, and the toe has stayed in place.

Ive called the vet and they said that is good news and im to call back later.

Thing is if i pay out for another bandage, i know it will be off again within the day!

I hate to say it but I really think your vet might be diddling you a bit money wise, when my poppy's toes was dislocated the very rabbit savvy vet said the best thing to do was pain killer and anti inflammatory (metacam) and see if the swelling went down and toe healed itself otherwise would be looking at 200 hundred pounds for an amputation. Charging you for a useless bandage!?

mmm! I have to agree.

When i took her in they wanted to sedate her, and then do an xray...this cost me £250.00. The nurse orginally said it would be £150.00. OH was not happy! They also told us that to amputate would be £200.00 - £250.00...apparently this was not right...that figure was on top of the £250.00 we already paid. Just glad it was dislocated.

We're giving her Metecam and the swelling has pretty much gone. The toe is now back in place, and we are keeping her in a confined space to prevent too much jumping about. How long should I keep her in for?

I hate to say it but I really think your vet might be diddling you a bit money wise, when my poppy's toes was dislocated the very rabbit savvy vet said the best thing to do was pain killer and anti inflammatory (metacam) and see if the swelling went down and toe healed itself otherwise would be looking at 200 hundred pounds for an amputation. Charging you for a useless bandage!?

How is Poppy's toe now? Did it mend itself ok?

Blimey, my vet said to give the metacam for a week and if there was no improvment go down the sedation/x ray route. But Poppy really didn't seem to notice she had hurt herself :lol: After 2 weeks we went back to the vet and he said the toe had gone straight again, he could feel a small lump around the joint but he said this was just where it had healed itself and as she was eating /drinking /leaping about as usual there was no need to do anything else!

p.s. hope lou is better soon too! It does sound very similar to Poppys, sticking at a funny angle and then swelling going down and it re aligning itself! Do you have to have another check up with the vet? Maybe keep her confined until then?

Blimey, my vet said to give the metacam for a week and if there was no improvment go down the sedation/x ray route. But Poppy really didn't seem to notice she had hurt herself :lol: After 2 weeks we went back to the vet and he said the toe had gone straight again, he could feel a small lump around the joint but he said this was just where it had healed itself and as she was eating /drinking /leaping about as usual there was no need to do anything else!

I get that impression from Lou, she doesn't seem bothered at all... She was dragging it the day i noticed it, now she's using it...and hopping about. Perhaps the vet was a bit hasty...Im going to call them back in a mo and see what they suggest...but I will not be happy bout paying for a new bandage if it comes off in a day!!!

p.s. hope lou is better soon too! It does sound very similar to Poppys, sticking at a funny angle and then swelling going down and it re aligning itself! Do you have to have another check up with the vet? Maybe keep her confined until then?

Yep all sounds the same to me too. The vet said come back in two weeks...or sooner if the swelling worsens. Looks fine to me. I was trying to compare her foot to Thelmas, and they look the same to me!!! Just hoping all is well by the time i get home!!!

Since it's the back foot you could place a baby sock over the top of the bandage and then tie off the baby sock with some micropore tape above the anckle. It's a lot harder for them to get off if it's tied off about the anckle as it doesn't shake free.

Since it's the back foot you could place a baby sock over the top of the bandage and then tie off the baby sock with some micropore tape above the anckle. It's a lot harder for them to get off if it's tied off about the anckle as it doesn't shake free.

Did that...lasted an extra day...she did look sweet in a "I love Mummy" Sock!!!

Spoke with Vet, they suggested coming back and spending the money on a new bandage and then buying a buster collar aswell...even though it will most likely stress her out even more, and Thelma as well.

Back