• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Onions? Digging holes? Help me!

Dustypaws

New Kit
Ok, so my rabbits are about a year old now and they have started digging like crazy! I'm worried because they've started digging near where my other (angels) rabbits are buried. :? I thought if I put some onion slices down that they will start digging and get a shock because of them. Was I right in doing this or was I being dumb? Help me! I don't know what to do. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so my rabbits are about a year old now and they have started digging like crazy! I'm worried because they've started digging near where my other (angels) rabbits are buried. :? I thought if I put some onion slices down that they will start digging and get a shock because of them. Was I right in doing this or was I being dumb? Help me! I don't know what to do. :eek:

No sure re the onions, my rabbits try to eat them! :roll::?

Scamp will eat onion. I doubt very much it will stop them digging. You need to put a physical barrier eg rocks or mesh. If you cut the grass first. Then put mesh down 2" square is fine, then let the grass grow through you won't even see it.

Ps. Please don't change the text colour, it's very hard to read pale blue writing on white background!

Females, particularly unneutered ones tend to be the worse ones for digging. Boys can rarely be bothered to dig very deep, I find :)

Females, particularly unneutered ones tend to be the worse ones for digging. Boys can rarely be bothered to dig very deep, I find :)

I agree with this. I have two boys and two girls. The boys have never dug anything more than a scrape across the top (if that!). The two females have both dug huge holes in the past (large enough for them to go in) and Star hasn't dug since her spay .... Holly I am yet to find out (she was only done last week).

Back