• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help my bunny is shedding fur

meem

New Kit
My 1 year old bunny is shedding a lot of fur lately. i don't know why. her diet is consistent with healthy food and she drinks loads of water. so i really don't know what the problem is. is this normal? :?

My Dillan has just finished his first ever moult! I couldn't believe the amount of hairs he shed daily and for a good few weeks too. I think the brush i bought him was clogged up with hair after the first use. I think because he's usually a house bunny i noticed it all the more.
Thank goodness its now over!
Helen xx

How long does this moulting process usually take?

My other bunny meatballs (buck) hasn't started moulting yet and it seems that he doesn't want to go anywhere near my moulting bunny cookiedoe.

some lose more fur than others, all depend on each individual and on the weather or for indoors buns, on the temperature inside.... some lose their fur almost in a few days, some others on a longer period, it can be very impressive indeed !

okay gotcha.

By the way, does this situation apply the same with cats in terms of furballs? i mean, i'm a bit concerned that my bunny might choke from all that moulted fur when she's grooming. and is it better to keep my bunny outside while she's moulting? i have a daughter in my apartment and i just don't want her to take in any of the fur that flies around when she picks up cookiedoe.

Rabbit stomach can have a lot of problem to digest the fur. It can block their intestine.

1) get a bowl of water
2) Wet your hand
3) gently comb your hand on the bunny's fur so your hand grab the fur off the bun

The above helps the fur to shed their fur and get rid off the fur so they can't lick on them. This way, neither your bun or his companion will get fur in their body

At the same time, buy some papaya & pineapple enzyme chew, give 2 tablet weekly, say one on Wed. and one on Sat., the enzyme will break down the fur in their stomach

You can also go w/ the idea of pineapple juice, if it's small bun, I would syringe feed 12 ml per bun once every 2 days or so

We have a few bunnies here who have gone into full fur shedding mode lol we just spend a few moments grooming , just taking out all the loss fur really helps, I think this year as their coats have grown thicker due to the colder winter , it does seem that they are losing more than they did last year.

Rabbit stomach can have a lot of problem to digest the fur. It can block their intestine.

1) get a bowl of water
2) Wet your hand
3) gently comb your hand on the bunny's fur so your hand grab the fur off the bun

The above helps the fur to shed their fur and get rid off the fur so they can't lick on them. This way, neither your bun or his companion will get fur in their body

At the same time, buy some papaya & pineapple enzyme chew, give 2 tablet weekly, say one on Wed. and one on Sat., the enzyme will break down the fur in their stomach

You can also go w/ the idea of pineapple juice, if it's small bun, I would syringe feed 12 ml per bun once every 2 days or so

i saw some of those enzyme chews last week but i didn't know that it could help. Thanks for the advice! :D

We have a few bunnies here who have gone into full fur shedding mode lol we just spend a few moments grooming , just taking out all the loss fur really helps, I think this year as their coats have grown thicker due to the colder winter , it does seem that they are losing more than they did last year.

I just started brushing my moulting bunny but i did notice when she started moulting that she seemed like she was getting a little bit stressed out about it cause of all the fur she's already shed lol and also because her partner has been avoiding her since she's in her moulting mode. but now they're bonding again.

The most useful tip is to get the fur off their body. Brush will work, but I like the wet hand method, I have to do it in 3 - 4 pot of water per day every 2 days or so.

We have members here who lost their buns because their partner is licking the other bun who is full of fur, the fur then block the intestine and causes bloat, in the end that bun passed away. So it's imperative to get the fur off your bun as much as possible, and as fast as possible.

again thanks for your help happy! i'll definitely keep that in mind.

i've actually separated my two bunnies for now. After i brush (and i will try the wet hand method) cookiedoe that's when i let them play together.

Back