• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering an older rabbit

shelley1977

Warren Scout
I have 3 rabbits an was toying with the idea of breeding them.After looking online i have decided against this as there are far to many bunnies out there needing homes.
I cant see any problems with my younger rabbits but my older rabbit its 5 and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether to get him neutered or just to leave him as he is?

shelley

As long as he is otherwise in good health there is no reason not to neuter him.
Then you could bond him with a spayed Doe as Rabbits need company :)

Good decision re not breeding :thumb:

I agree with Jane - so long as he's in good health & your vet agrees, then there is no reason not to neuter him.

We had Noah & Arthur both done when we rescued them & they are both 6 years old :)

I'm so glad you decided not to breed :)

Thanks for the replys,im going to go see the vet tomorrow and ask then arrange dates for the 3.Then im going to try some bonding and once i have some more hutches im hoping to adopt some more.

sooty(mums rabbit) was spayed age 9yrs and no problems i have had older bunnys go through gas with no problem for dentals(such as 7yr old coco and 4yr old arthur and also dora was spayed age 3yrs. provided there are no other health issues and you have a good vet i think it is nessacery. x

Back