• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbits fighting

Dumpling

Warren Scout
" of my rabbits have had a massive fight. I have seperated them. There was blood everywhere. I cleaned it up the best that i could and i seems to have stop bleeding. If need be i will take him to vets and i am going to get him another hutch next wk until then he will have to stay in a smaller one its not ideal but its the only solution. Can i completly wash him or should i leave it. I am shaking writing this.

I have only just seen this.

The Rabbit needs Veterinary attention. Bite wounds can easily become infected and abscessate

I really would not 'bath' him, after all the stress of the fight and the blood loss he may go into shock.

If you have some hibiscrub around then you could give the wounds a clean using a weak solution but they will need to go to the vets ASAP.

He seems fine he has been seperated and it doesnt seem bothered about the fight. I think it was dotty that bit him. He has stopped bleeding and i am checking him every 30mins. He stopped bleeding straight away and has cleaned him self off. I am going to get some hibscrub in the morning now just couldnt remember the name. If he is or gets worse i will get him to the vets somehow.

regardless of how the bite looks even if it looks clean i would take to vets. the reason i am saying this is we left it with a rabbit we had who had fought both had some grazes and a few bites teh bites had "healed but the grazes not when we took to the vet he was more worried about teh bites.. but they have scabbed over we replied.. ah but its a puncture wound he said and it is looking infected(it looked fine to me but i do trust this particular vet) onto antibiotics bunny went and true it did heal much quicker and better get a rabbit savvy vet to check it over also if its a large area or a tear such as an ear tear stitches may be required.

regardling keeping them seperate please keep seperate until you can get new hutch even if this means a make shift pen of some kind. can i ask what sex the rabbits are their age and if they are both neutered? how long had they been bonded and was there any changes to their lifestyle that may have triggered the fight? x

Back