• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our poor Nessa/ She has gone to the bridge

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Nessa has been bravely fighting facial abcesses since she arrived here in January.

A few days ago, she started sneezing much more severely than normal, and loads of pus was coming out of her nose. One of here abscesses started to grow really rapidly pushing one of her nostrils closed :(

Yesteday it was so big, I don't know how she could hold her head properly so we decided to lance it. We got a fair amount of pus out and she seemed more comfortable.

In the afternoon there was the most awful smell in the house, we thought the cats had done something they shouldn't, but it was poor Nessa. The side of her face had literally exploded :shock: We cleaned her up as best we could but it is so difficult. As we washed the hole out with hibiscrub it was chocking her as it was coming out of her nose and going into her mouth :(
Part of her skin had turned black.

This morning the black skin fell off leaving a huge hole on the side of her face. Again we have taken as much pus out as possible but really don't want to clean it out with much in case she swollows it.

Nessa is still eating and bright, but we really don't want her to suffer in anyway, she has had too much of that in her life already.

Any suggestions of what else we can do to help our special girl would be appreciated:)

Last edited:
Oh Liz poor Nessa :cry: Is it possible to try manuka honey in the wound & around it? It won't harm her if she does swallow it. Other than that, I really don't know what else to suggest I'm afraid, I think you're doing everything you can.

Sending her lots of vibes to keep battling & extra special snuggles xxx

Oh dear poor Nessa that sounds very nasty.

My only thought was Manuka honey or Propolis too.

Glad she's feeling bright enough to still enjoy her food, that's always heartening isn't it.

We are using manuka honey on it once it is cleaned up :)

I was just wondering what to use to clean it up now that it is draining badly through into her nose and mouth :? I squeeze as much pus out as possible. I can't syringe it out as it is too painful for her. Then I normally clean the area with hibiscrub solution but I am going to have to stop using it now. I can only think to use plain water but the smell is so awful i don't know if it will be that effective :?

We are using manuka honey on it once it is cleaned up :)

I was just wondering what to use to clean it up now that it is draining badly through into her nose and mouth :? I squeeze as much pus out as possible. I can't syringe it out as it is too painful for her. Then I normally clean the area with hibiscrub solution but I am going to have to stop using it now. I can only think to use plain water but the smell is so awful i don't know if it will be that effective :?

I guess if you use water that's as hot as can be comfortable for her it will act like some kind of poultice..poor little girl..sending vibes for you both...

What antibiotics is she on, as I know some can't be used on abcesses that drain orally?

I used saline for a while on Mack's abcesses but when we had the culture back and Pseudomonas was shown Janice pointed out that the saline would do more harm than good so we went with sterile water instead.

Could you maybe try F10?

Oh poor Nessa :( Maybe now it's burst she's actually feeling a little better even if it stinks and looks awful. I have no idea what to suggest really, but I'm thinking of you all xxx

What antibiotics is she on, as I know some can't be used on abcesses that drain orally?

I used saline for a while on Mack's abcesses but when we had the culture back and Pseudomonas was shown Janice pointed out that the saline would do more harm than good so we went with sterile water instead.

Could you maybe try F10?

She is now just on ceporex injections. She has been on engemycin and baytril before that. And is also on high pain relief.

The abcesses burst on quite a regular basis and heal over and refill very quickly despite our best efforts. But this one was quite spectacular :( She also has 2 other capsules under these ones that we cannot penetrate.

The hole has refilled with pus within an hour of cleaning it, as she breaths it is going up and down in the hole:( God only knows how she is so bright.

We know her time is very limited now, just wanted to do everything we possible could to keep her comfortable. She is seeing the vet tomorrow as we are having a home visit.

Just something that has come to mind Liz - is Zithromax the abx that Wilson had for his headtilt. I know it's not licensed for use in bunnies but I have read on the internet that not only has it been successful in treating headtilt, but also abscesses in bunnies - it is a strong abx & a bottle of it only lasts approx 3 days - but after a week on it, Wilson showed a great deal of progress.

I didn't know if this might be worth thinking about & chatting to your vet about to see if this could help Nessa.

I've had zithromax for one of my buns with recurring bouts of pneumonia. Worked a treat so might be worth a go.

We have been giving our rabbit Zithromax and it has help. Also on the plue side it smells lovely and our rabbit really enjoyed it. Which makes administering medication a lot easier.

Thanks for the suggestion, we may speak to the vet again then.

After a long chat today it was decided the best thing to do for Nessa was to let her go. Too much of her face has been eaten away :cry: And if we don't want her to start to really suffer we would be best to do it sooner rather than later.

We haven't made any set time for this yet, so we are still able to change our minds if necessary, however nothing is going to repair the bone that she has already lost. :(

We have had every bun seen by the vet today, unfortunately there has been very bad news not only for Nessa but also, Moses, Fuzzy, Gwendolyn, Eddie, Primrose and Liquorice. And a few others need x-rays and dentals :(

Gosh, lots of vibes and hugs for you and all of your poorly bunnies.

You have tried everything you can and have given Nessa the best life possible , she knows true love because of you.

I am thinking of you at this difficult time xxxx

Thanks for the suggestion, we may speak to the vet again then.

After a long chat today it was decided the best thing to do for Nessa was to let her go. Too much of her face has been eaten away :cry: And if we don't want her to start to really suffer we would be best to do it sooner rather than later.

We haven't made any set time for this yet, so we are still able to change our minds if necessary, however nothing is going to repair the bone that she has already lost. :(

We have had every bun seen by the vet today, unfortunately there has been very bad news not only for Nessa but also, Moses, Fuzzy, Gwendolyn, Eddie, Primrose and Liquorice. And a few others need x-rays and dentals :(

So sorry to hear this :cry: Sending vibes to all at Rainbow Rabbits....

Back